Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I don't know if this will apply to your situation, but on my 96 Legacy, the tone wheels in front are rusted/corroded to the point that the teeth are no longer square and equal in size. This was causing my ABS to activate on normal stops on dry surfaces.

This would happen for the first few stops on a trip, then I guess the ABS would shut off, until I started the car again.

I read the codes and got a code for faulty wheel sensor input, and I needed to remove the brake rotor to see how badly the tone wheels had corroded.

I would like to replace them, but that involves removing the hub and replacing the wheel bearings, which I am not ready for.

For now, I removed the ABS fuse, so I don't have ABS anymore. Surprisingly, it wasn't a problem this winter in Syracuse,NY, but then again, none of the cars I had before this had ABS, so maybe I reverted to my old driving techniques.

matt

• 1 month later...

o.k. folks.

With the instruction in this thread and other the inspection station (where the car is for now) jumpered pin 6 and say they get a code 11, 12, and 16.

IIR 11 is generic - something like - "you have an ABS problem"

I can't find codes for 12 & 16. 97 Legacy L(that helps determine which ABS system).