Ultimate Subaru Message Board

an '87 Loyale from Utah to Boston?

I'm looking at buying an '87 Loyale with 132k miles, the interior is in almost perfect shape, the engine bay is cleeeean, and it seems to cruise on the freeway @ 75 mph no prob. new timing belt, water pump, fluids. It has a/c, power mirrors, tilt wheel, and EVERYTHING works great! it's fwd (2 wheel drive) with the 4 high and 4 low t case.

QUESTION:

I've read some good and bad about the ea82 engines. If maintained well, could this engine get me to Boston and back (3500 mi. one way) this summer? Do they typically do ok on loooong road trips?

at 75mph on the freeway, it's cruising at 3500 rpm's. what rpms is too high? I'd like to push it up to 80 when I can, but I dont' want to wind it up too high. is 4k rpms too high?

What kind of mileage can I expect?

sorry for the questions, I'm a noob to subies.:rolleyes: I'm a toyota guy normally. But this Loyale seems sweeeet!

before driving cross country, you would want to be sure of when the timing belts were last changed. More than 30-40K miles ago would be to long to trust for the type of travel you are talking about.

You would also want to make sure it is not loosing any coolant, all the CV axles are good with intact boots, and of course change the oil.

Even if it isn't leaking, if the coolant hoses are are old and crappy you should consider having them changed for summer road tripping.

If maintained well, could this engine get me to Boston and back (3500 mi. one way) this summer? Do they typically do ok on loooong road trips?

Have everything checked out first, but if it's been well maintained, the car should get you there and back, easily.

I'm

at 75mph on the freeway, it's cruising at 3500 rpm's. what rpms is too high? I'd like to push it up to 80 when I can, but I dont' want to wind it up too high. is 4k rpms too high?

If the engine is healthy, running at highway speeds shouldn't be a problem.

disclaimers: These are opinions, not facts. Any car can break down unexpectedly, but an EA82 can easily double your 132K miles.

I used to run my 92 Loyale with 200K all day at 75-80... without any problems. but I can tell you ..on mountains the car will dog. .. These EA82s are not known for thier HP.

Now my Loyale wagon was just a FWD 5 spd SPFI ..and I could easily get into the 40 mpg range with it.

and just so you know ..in 87 they werent called Loyales..it was either a DL GL or GL-10 ..Loyales werent badged until 90.

Those interiors are extremely tough ..so I am not suprised to hear its flawless...most are ..they hold up well

Also..the AC will make the car feel like its dragging and anchor...best bet is to only run it on the flats .

But the car should do fine...Mine always did...and still does for its current owner. Just go over it well. Sometimes low mileage is worse on a car then high.

As for price..well thats hard to say without seeing pics of the car and depending what you are going to use it for. But for that price you can pick up a newer Legacy or Impreza with the more dependable EJ18 or EJ22. Just so you know

Edited by Bucky92

It should be fine. It's virtually brand new. The only big thing is make sure the timing belt is new, and that it doesn't drink coolant or overheat. It should go for another 100k at least if those are good and it's been taken care of. Price is a tad high, but given the low miles (usually 200k+ goes for $1000ish), perhaps okay. Mine ran fine at 75 on the highway, about 3800rpm, and got around 31mpg doing that. I took it up to WA from CO a few times, and down to AZ a few times too. Keep it above 2,800rpm if you want any power, especially at elevation.

Subaru offered a hi-lo FWD only transmission?

I think he meant that it has fwd, 4wd hi, and 4wd lo positions.

BTW, the low range on subies is not from a transfer case, but by a planetary reduction gear on the transmission input shaft. Same effect, but mechanically its on the other end of the transmission, and is in the same case.

Z