Ultimate Subaru Message Board

6 cyl vs. 4 cyl=harder to work on?

I figured I would never buy a sub with the 6 cyl for a few reasons...the 2.5 is powerful enough for me...why deal with less fuel economy...but more importantly...and engine I am not familiar with. But there is a nice one for sale...2001 LLB

How much tougher are these to work on? (I've done HG job on my 2.5 96 OB etc)....does the 6 have a timing belt or what...how much more complicated is it (what is the service interval as this has 105k)

I assume the compartment is much more cramped??? can you actually RR spark plugs??

it scares me...

thanks

The H6 has a timing chain (as said) that should be good for 'the life of the car', the plugs are def. worse to get to (but do not have to be done often) ans things are tighter than on a 4 cylinder, but most of what you have to touch is up on top.

Dave

so far the H6 has a better reputation than the EJ25's. you won't need to do head gaskets, timing belt, tensioner, or pulleys or seals hopefully.

you just hope the timing chain tensioner holds well. that's essentially a $600-$1000 job and i haven't heard of anyone doing it themselves yet. i'm sure that will change as time goes on..i think?

there's a nice recent thread about some minor issues and how to address them yourself, they're rather simple. check it out.

I figured I would never buy a sub with the 6 cyl for a few reasons...the 2.5 is powerful enough for me...why deal with less fuel economy...but more importantly...and engine I am not familiar with. But there is a nice one for sale...2001 LLB

How much tougher are these to work on? (I've done HG job on my 2.5 96 OB etc)....does the 6 have a timing belt or what...how much more complicated is it (what is the service interval as this has 105k)

I assume the compartment is much more cramped??? can you actually RR spark plugs??

it scares me...

thanks

Havn't done plugs yet. My wifes H6 gets the same 25MPH as my 2.2 and my old 2.5 got. PCV valve was easy also replaced the TPS which also was a peice of cake.

Anyone else have experience with the 6 cylinder???

Is the timing chain bathed in oil...and it is supposed to last the life of the car???

thanks

Yes, bathed in oil, supposed to last the life of the car.

The water pump is driven by the timing chain as well.

PDX-H6-FrontChain2.jpg

PDX-H6-FrontChain1.jpg

Dave

IMO, if buying new, and comparing Subie 4 vs 6 cylinder motors, I would go with the 4 cylinder. The 4's run well enough with good power.

However, if buying used, I would consider the 6 cylinder. It uses more gas driving around town, and spark plugs are nasty to change, yet it is a very nice motor. So, if the price is right, the six cylinder would be a good buy.

Yes, bathed in oil, supposed to last the life of the car.

The water pump is driven by the timing chain as well.

PDX-H6-FrontChain2.jpg

PDX-H6-FrontChain1.jpg

Dave

Wow those pixs of the 6 cylinder are really something. If I didn't know better, I wouldn't be surprised if told that the motor came out of a CanAm series racer.

I've only had my 01 H6 LLBean for three months, but I tell you the motor is so smooth you would think it's rotary, and so very quiet. It hauls rump roast when it needs to (or when I feel the need for...), and my combined city and hwy averages 23 mpg, with a couple trips at 25mpg.

Timing chain supposedly maintenance free for life of vehicle. The only maintenance done was the external pulleys replaced. Not having to worry about head gaskets or piston slap far outweighs the trouble of changing plugs every 60k or so... or the 6 quart oil changes :eek:.

The opposed 6 cyl is probably the most perfectly balanced motor design.

I love it. r/PK

CNY Dave

Great pics!

THat motor looks like new

ok...so the chain should last the life odf the motor...but not the water pump

How often for that and how tough is it???

The pics are from an outfit that built up an H6, think it was a later 3.0R (but the pics are pretty much the same).

The waterpump is supposed to be good for the life of the car as well, so coolant maintenance is important.

Old coolant = crappy seals = leaky waterpump

The waterpump job is almost exactly the same as the chain/tensioner job, so I'd figure going in to touch anything and you'd do all 3.

In those pics the crank is the gear on top in the middle, the waterpump is the round thing with the 4 bolts, on the bottom a little to the right.

Dave