Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A Sad, Sad day for Subaru or: The Death of My Wagon

Hey everyone, I know it has been a little while since I have posted something. Well, now that I actually have something to post, I guess I'll get typing. So I finally got back to the US on the 12th(THANK GOD!!!) and was all ecstatic about seeing my old wagon again for the first time in 4 years. So I get to my friend Jason's house and we start talking about the car and the weird noise that it was making. I go, fire her up, and sure enough there is a knocking noise, but it sounds as if it is coming from the driver's side valve cover. So I feel rather relieved at this point. Well relief turns to pain as I revved it up slightly and the knocking got louder and then........Bang! In a clatter of noise she is finished. Oil has sprayed out from under the intake manifold and a light cloud of smoke fills the engine compartment. My friend's wife cranked the engine over while her husband and I investigate. Long story short, she threw a rod and it cracked the engine block right under the intake manifold. And to make matters worse, as I go over the rest of the car with a fine tooth comb, I find that the weather seal on the sunroof has failed and leaked all over the passenger side of the interior. So needless to say, I am sad and I am thinking that it is time for my car to be laid to rest.

Patrick

:(

I'm sorry to hear that.

If that ever happened to my brat I would definitely cry. :(

Well, you could always do what everyone else is suggesting,

new engine time!

Do I smell an EJ swap in the future? :)

And a leaky sunroof is nothing, just take a shop vac and a heater to the

upholstery and reseal the sunroof with some sort of slicone sealer and

have yourself some fun.

It may very well make an awesome off roader, if you're willing to keep'er

going.

Twitch

i feel ya my legacy had a vibration in the crankshaft then the rear main seal went when i was on the freeway :( bad deal i had to use the engine i got for my ej coupe swap so i have a car to drive now i need to find another engine good luck whatever you decide

Rob

Sorry to hear that Patrick and welcome back. That is a pretty sad story alright. I don't know how your finances are but if you can handle new car payments the dealers are giving some good deals on new Soobs and some good finance rates also. You will then have a car that is covered in a warranty and will last you a long time.

What year and model? Is there any rust on the body? It's not too hard to just stick a new engine in these usually. I just stuck a new (okay 160k instead of 244k) engine in my '89GL for $250 (plus a long day swapping it).

Z

It's an '88 GL-10 Wagon with the FT4WD 5speed tranny. Sucky thing is, right before I went to Japan, I changed all the fluids, belts, and even the clutch, and not to mention all of the other stuff like the DP, fenderwell intake, etc. I think that my car just got mad at me and off'ed itself in retaliation. I have looked into new, or "new to me" engines for it, but the wife was complaining about the prices(who would've thought). So for now, it is just sitting in my friend's driveway, lifeless.

Patrick

Sorry to hear that, I was really looking forward to seeing some development on that vehicle of yours!

So was I. I even have some newish electronics on their way to California that I was going to install in it once we arrived there. I am one upset puppy. I was kinda hoping to come back, be able to fix the problem, and be driving it by now with a new 2.5" exhaust, but that isn't going to happen any time soon. I guess I'll just be a spectator to all of the new developments for now.

Patrick

going to do a post mortem?

Still haven't decided yet. However, I've actually been entertaining the idea of putting her on life support, until I can acquire a new engine, then toss it in and attempt to bring her back to life. Heck, if I can replace the clutch without a shop, and only hand tools, a floor jack, and jackstands available, replacing the engine should be a piece of cake with an engine hoist and a garage.

Patrick

Sorry to hear that Patrick and welcome back. That is a pretty sad story alright. I don't know how your finances are but if you can handle new car payments the dealers are giving some good deals on new Soobs and some good finance rates also. You will then have a car that is covered in a warranty and will last you a long time.

Thank You! I'm very glad to be back on US soil again. We already have one good car(2002 Subaru WRX wagon) which belongs to yours truly. Last week, I attempted to get the wife into a new Subaru Forester, considering that all I heard while in Okinawa was," I want a Forester! I want a Forester!" So while looking for Foresters, what should I stumbe upon, but a 1998 Forester with 74,XXX miles on it. The dealer was only asking $5,000 or $6,000 for it. I thought it to be a good deal. The wife, however, did not. So I looked at new Foresters, which are going for between $18,000 and $19,000 for the base model Forester X. Well, she griped about the payments, belly-ached about the insurance that we would have to pay on it, and ultimately went out and bought an '04 Chevy Trailblazer, with 74,458 miles on the clock. It's not bad, but I feel like she betrayed Subaru after all of these years. At the same time though, I feel kinda good about buying a GM product since they seem to need all of the help they can get right now. On a lighter note, she(with my help since my credit and salesman swaying skills are better) got it for just under $8,000 with an extended service warranty. So I guess I can't complain about that, not to mention that it was her choice in vehicles. I can say this much though, I'd much rather the Trailblazer then the Honda CRV that her parents were trying to talk her into.

Patrick

Uugh. Honestly, I would have taken the 6 year older subaru over any GM product at any price. But I was raised on Fords.....

I've done engine swaps with nothing more than a hoist of some sort and a good socket set (come-along anchored to ceiling joist of a carport, once -- subaru engines are pretty light).

Z

Still haven't decided yet. However, I've actually been entertaining the idea of putting her on life support, until I can acquire a new engine, then toss it in and attempt to bring her back to life. Heck, if I can replace the clutch without a shop, and only hand tools, a floor jack, and jackstands available, replacing the engine should be a piece of cake with an engine hoist and a garage.

Patrick

i'm guessing you don't do alot of mechanical? my dad and I pulled a V8 outta my 69 tempest, replaced rod/main bearings also oil pump without even removing the crank put it back together and cleaned it all in one day then put it in the car the next. all outside.

you should really ask yourself what was going on with your car while you were gone.

Hey patrick, welcome back to the US. If you want, I have a block that is good coming out of a car with a cracked head. You can have the block for whatever shipping would cost. You can then put your heads and wextras on it and have an engine for super cheap. I know that the block is in fine working order. The head cracked at the exhaust port.

PM me if you want the block and I can get working on removing it from the car.