Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to keep a Subaru Justy glued to the road

No, I'm not talking about performance handling.... I'm talking about adobe mud :eek::banghead:

So... over by Montrose, I went down a road last weekend that said "impassible when wet". It didn't seem that wet, though it had rained the night before a little and I was looking out for creek crossings or deep mud or such. I didn't expect to get stopped by half and inch of mud.... er.. make that half an inch of super sticky clay. Filled the wheel wells and just stopped the car. Eventually had to leave it and come back with a yota when it had dried out a bit more and drag it down. Got a full wheelbarrow full of mud off the wheel wells the next day.

Adobe1.jpg

adobe2.jpg

adobe3.jpg

adobe4.jpg

adobe5.jpg

The dogs didn't like the mud so much either -- big balls on their paws. The white one really is a dog -- it just looks like a cat next to the big black Malmute/Newfie mix. It's really about twice the size of a cat.

Edited by Qman

Is that a mud tire? :banana:

or is it mud with tire.:lol:

looks fun except pink socks.

Now, go take some snow pics

Snow pics coming... just got 34" of sloppy wet stuff the last two days....

Girls are allowed to wear pink socks. She was a good sport about helping to push the car through the mud and all, and hiking out and hitching a ride when we had to abandon it.

EDIT: Yes, it's a 4wd Justy, but I did have it in 2wd sometimes -- sometimes it would kind of move in 2wd, spinning the front wheels and dragging the back wheels, like you can see in that picture. 4wd tended to just smoke the clutch and stall the engine because the back wheels were so gummied.

Edited by zyewdall

• 2 months later...

well I have been in mud with many off those cars and never got stuck. mud was over the tires and the car keeps moving

but I was all the time in first gear and full trotle so the weels were spining engine was at 7000 rpm for several minuts

The problem isn't so much the tires, but the mud not having anywhere to go. If you had an open wheel vehicle so the mud could sling out and not clog up the tires, you'd be able to move around in that stuff.

Exactly. There was a jacked up chevy 2500 doing decent in it, because he had a foot of room around the tires to fling the mud off...