Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 OBS EJ22 5MT ABS

is there some special technique or procedure for these brakes? i pulled the booster and master out for other work. i also disassembled, cleaned and reassembled the front brakes while replacing axles - pads and rotors are worn but okay. i haven't touched the rear brakes yet. i bench bled the master before reinstalling, then bled each wheel in this order:

right front

left rear

left front

right rear

i didn't see a bleeder or anything on the abs unit so i didn't do anything with it.

pedal feels good but you have to press harder on the pedal than before. does this sound like air trapped in there or maybe a problem with the booster?

i couldn't find answers by searching. thanks

I am no expert on abs systems, however, from my own experience on my 99 OBW with abs, I used a "one man" bleeder unit last summer to put in fresh Dot 3 brake fluid. All went well, with the car stopping well ever since. I am not aware of anything to bleed on the abs system itself. To me, it sounds like your brake job is finished.

thanks for the pdf, nipper.

"Sequence Control Operational Guidelines

• Connect diagnosis terminals to 3 terminals

(K) and 6 terminals (L) of the

diagnosis connector located under the

driver’s side of the instrument panel.

• Set the speed of all wheels at 2 MPH

or less.

• Within 0.5 seconds after the ABS

warning lamp goes out, immediately

after the ignition switch is turned to

on, depress the brake pedal and hold.

Caution: Do not depress the clutch

pedal.

Note: When the ignition switch is set to

on, the brake pedal must not be

depressed. The engine must not operate."

it seems like its saying you have to have all the wheels rotating at 2mph with the engine off... huh?

then all it says about sequence control besides how to get there (the above excerpt) is this:

"Conditions For Completion Of Sequence Control

• When the speed of at least one wheel

reaches 6 MPH, the operation is

returned to the normal control mode.

• When the L terminal is separated

from ground, the operation is returned

to the normal control mode.

• When the K terminal is separated

from ground, the operation goes to the

trouble code display mode.

• When the brake pedal is released

during sequence control and the braking

lamp switch is set to OFF, the operation

is returned to the normal control

mode."

what am i actually supposed to be doing by placing the system in sequence control mode and how do i know if i've done it?

Edited by mountaingoatgruff

Right, 2mph or less[b/]. i.e. if the vehicle is stopped/not moving (0 mph) then you can enter sequence control. (this is probably the safest time to do this job, though some people might try to do it on their way in to work to save time along with eating a donut drinking coffee combing their hair talking on their cell phone while tying their shoes),

Oh you'll know when it enters sequence control. It will sound like a strange music coming from the hydraulic unit, all kinds of buzzings and such. It's pretty neat. Be careful not to be overtaken as it sounds like the Sirens to a forlorn Subaru sailor.

Edited by porcupine73

sequence control is the ABS unit cycling all it's valves and goodies inside to let air through.

i doubt you need to worry about sequence control. i've had the MC emptied before too and did fine just bleeding normally, never messing with the ABS unit. I think i may have cracked the individual lines open at the ABS unit to let any air out...but I dont' remember exactly.

why don't they just say stopped?!? i don't mind anal retentive engineers but specifying 2mph or less is sort of misleading.

damn, this Siren is hot!

200px-Funerary_siren_Louvre_Myr148.jpg

well, i tested the booster cuz it seemed my symptoms were pointing there and found the vac hose was backwards so the check valve was preventing vac supply from reaching the booster. flipped it around and the brakes work great so apparently like gary said i didn't need to do sequence control.

Yah the trick might be the sequence control while bleeding. It is fun putting it in sequence control too because it almost sounds like music as it cycles all its little valves and the motor is running in there.

So it sounds like this in a way?

:banana: