Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am about to buy a 2002 Legacy GT 5 spd

How does the hydraulic clutch work??

WHy is it better

I am only familiar with the old cable and spring type on my old Dl/GL/Loyales

When the disc is getting thin, it slips but does it get harder to put in gear?

A hydraulic clutch is not something new. I had a 1971 Datsun 240Z with a hydraulic clutch. The hydraulic set up has the clutch operate very smoothly during clutch engagement and disengagement compared to a cable actuated clutch. Enjoy your new Leggie GT!

otoh, with a cable clutch (1982 GL wagon...bless her little sexy heart!), it might break every 5 yrs, but it is CHEAP and EASY to adjust/replace it yourself in 10 minutes. How easy is it to replace your slave or master cylinder when they start leaking? :rolleyes:

Hyd clutches have been around as long as hydrualic brakes. They are much simpler to design and install then cables. Mechanical clutches rely on leverage and moment arms to get the forces managable. Hyd clutches do it fairly easily by just varying piston size.

They both last about the same time without needing service, though I would recomend a new cable on any car with over 100K on a clutch, since its not a great expense.

nipper