Ultimate Subaru Message Board

As you all know, buddy bought a 98 forrester with a known blown HG. We got it home and resealed the motor only to find out it had torque bind real bad. We tore into the tranny and did the drum grinding fix and the problem didn't go away. He did some checking and the PO had removed several of the dash lights so that some unsuspecting soul (him) would buy it. Well, after he replaced the lights, we managed to get the transmission codes and last night we tore into the tranny again. This time, with the information we needed. We replaced the duty C solenoid and the speed sensor #2, put the baby back together and the torque bind is all gone. Needless to say, he is very happy.

The moral to this story: when you are buying a used subie and the dash lights don't come on at start up, BEWARE. The bulbs may be missing.

Thanks For all of your help Guys..

Mike

I still say there should be some kinda legal course due to the deception. I'm not abig guyon the whole litigation thing but this was flagrant deceit.

I buy a decent amount of cars. Dash lights (and in particular Airbag and ABS lights) I always look for. They all need to flash when the key is first turned.

I agree with you dave. It was a flagrant act of deception just so the car could be gotten rid of. We both learned a lesson. Thankfully it didn't cost much to repair the tranny. He's happy now.

Now we have one other question. His ABS light is on and we have looked under the dash and there is no connector there for checking the codes. Do we just have the codes pulled with an OBDII tester?

Thanks

Mike

This time, with the information we needed. We replaced the duty C solenoid and the speed sensor #2, put the baby back together and the torque bind is all gone.

i installed a used trans (125k) in my 95 legacy (170k) only to have the duty c fail within the year. i swore i'd always replace the duty c when i had the chance, especially when in stalling a used trans. replacing the duty c (~$75) proactively is similar to replacing the timing belt pulleys before they fail, yes it cost more up front but its cheaper than doing it twice.

of course i haven't had to live by my oath yet, so we'll see.

I have checked the harness thouroughly and all of the connectors under the dash are plugged in. All of the harness that is taped up is smooth with no connectors underneath.

In order to get the tranny codes we had to go thru a very specific set of steps and they popped right up on the light. I am thinking that there is a similar protocol for the ABS system.

There's a good article on endwrench about Subaru ABS. It shows all the different types and how to get the codes from each type.

Let's see...says 1998 to present Forester — type is: ABS 5.3i

it says for 5.3i

On-Board Diagnostics

Using on board-diagnostics is very similar to the ABS-2E system. Three trouble codes are the limit of memory retention with the newest code being displayed first. Accessing of trouble codes is achieved by first turning off the ignition switch, then grounding terminal 3 of the 6 pole service connector B82 located above the accelerator pedal, then turning on the ignition switch. The codes can be viewed on the ABS warning light. The trouble codes for the ABS 5.3 system are the same as the 2E system with the addition of trouble code 29. This code will be generated when the speed of one of the wheels is 1.25 times faster than the others for at least one minute.

I just got an update from my buddy. He decided to take the forester to Pa. ans see his mother. He said that the car ran flawlessly and he even got 28mpg on the first tank of gas. He is truely elated. He is a tall mena nad he wanted the forester for ease of entry and exit.

Thanks for everyones help along the way of resurection. It is a very nice car.

Now we have one other question. His ABS light is on and we have looked under the dash and there is no . . .

Just have to share this. Was reading through the thread and when I got to that I thought--

Omigod! The brakes squeaked so the SOB original owner removed them so he could sell the car!

:-\

It's time I came out of the shadows on this thread to tell you that I am the owner of the Forester Mike has been so faithfully working on. I've only helped; he did the vast majority of the work.

The trip to PA was a breeze, except that my Fozzzie has no cruise control. So I really had to drive it all the time. I probably could have gotten better MPG with a CC. As it was: 28.61 on the trip up; 22.98 for 4 days running around in town, and 28 even on the trip back (with my older sister & her luggage aboard + the AC going.

I am totally pleased with the vehicle. It used no oil, coolant, or transmission fluid on the entire trip, which covered about 480 miles. It was a good test, a maiden voyage, & completely successful.

Many, many thanks to all of you who wrote words of encouragement & hope.

One final question: will the cruise control from an Outback, Imprezza, or Legacy (95-98) bolt in & plug right up to a '98 Fozzie??

ScottG