Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So i am car shopping and looking to upgrade from a loyale to a newer outback. I have some questions before i make a decision on which kind of outback if anyone would kindly help me with any info, that would be great! I did a search already and answered many questions but still have some so here they are.

1) So i am interested in dong a lift down the road whether by means of forester struts or a kit by AA. And my question is, with a lift i have taken into consideration which transmission would handle the larger tire size better. Automatic or Manual?

2) It seems the 2.5 motors have head gasket issues more than the alternatives, so i have somewhat decided on a H6 3.0 but i couldn't find too much info on those. Reliability? Power? And was it offered with a manual tranny?

3) Oh and i am assuming the forester strut lift option would work with the H6 version correct?

That's all the questions i couldn't figure out. Any help would be great!:)

The head gasket issues were only on the DOHC phase 1 EJ25 motors. (1996-1999) You'll be fine with the SOHC phase 2 EJ25 motors.

The H6 outbacks never came with a manual transmission.

I know for me it was hard to find an outback with a manual transmission, but it was worth it. I looked at 30 or so and only found 2.

Good luck and I hope it works out for you.

Thanks pooparu! That was something i didn't know about the newer 2.5 being better. I guess i will shy away from the H6 then cause i love the 5 spd. Anything i should look out for on a newer outback when buying?

The head gasket issues were only on the DOHC phase 1 EJ25 motors. (1996-1999) You'll be fine with the SOHC phase 2 EJ25 motors.

that's not right, but the newer ones are better. SOHC Phase II motors have substantial head gasket issues. so much so that Subaru offered an extended head gasket warranty to 100,000 miles for these motors (unlike the earlier versions which were not recognized by Subaru and had no additional warranty).

that being said, I like the newer ones because they don't leave you stranded when they blow. the older ones overheat immediately and you're stuck. these newer ones just leak externally and don't overheat until you run very low on coolant, which typically takes a while because they don't leak much, just a slow seaping at first. makes them easy to spot too, where the older internal leaking head gaskets jokers could be really annoying to diagnose.

your best option is to find one that's already been replaced or blown and have it repaired. then you know it's been done, they tend to have great success after being repaired. it's not hard to find them with blown head gaskets, they're for sale all the time.

if you're maxing out your purchase price, proceed very carefully. i hate seeing people max their spending and then in one year need a $1,500 - $2,000 job.

if that kind of repair isn't a big deal, then do whatever you want.

yeah, all H6's are automatics. and with the VSS and such a manual swap would be a lot of fun, of course you could just disable all that gizmo-magic.

shoot that just worry's me more. I'm looking to get a reliable means of transportation that fits my needs and the outback looks like the wagon. But these head gasket issues are just turning me away from them. Was there a year even earlier that had a reliable motor not susceptible to head gasket woes?

I hear the 2.2 was a little more worry free. There is an Outback sport 97 that i was considering with this set up. Here is a link if interested:

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=&nid=443&tab=list/view&ad=1251275

If i were to lift it this would be a better candidate imo because of the shorter wheelbase. Anyways. Any experience with these Outback sports? Are their motors notorious for head gasket problems also?

Edited by hardtail_pride

we have more combined experience than any Subaru dealer in the country and we can actually talk truthfully about it! a great car is one that's already had the head gaskets replaced, they aren't hard to find (I've bought two like that I think, at least one). the updated head gaskets do great things for this motor, don't be scared!

CCR is a long time (a few decades) Subaru engine rebuilder and they will back that up. they're also members here and provide great technical feedback.

the EJ22 was available in some 90's legacy wagons. the only outback you can get with the EJ22 is a 1996 manual trans. a GREAT car, you get the outback and manual trans/EJ22 reliability. it's an older car than a 2002 as well, so it's going to need a good going over - timing belts, brakes, water pump, etc. but really most of that stuff is going to be needed in a 2002 as well depending on mileage/history.

it is worth it to buy one and put some money into prevenative maintenance, the EJ22 is just a fantastic engine.

other than that only base model Legacy wagons got the EJ22 in 97 and up models. going to all EJ25's around 2000 or so (you can check cars101.com for all that info).

Any experience with these Outback sports? Are their motors notorious for head gasket problems also?
yeah, i own one. they are excellent for reliability, actually that's why i bought it for my wife. 5 years, never left stranded, we've put 70,000+ miles on it.

the EJ18 and EJ22 are nearly bullet proof, just fantastic motors. if they don't run out of oil or overheat they'll essentially last as long as you care to do maintenance.

i suggest test driving the impreza's and legacy's though. the Impreza OBS handles better than my legacy's i've owned. It's nice and snug and tight on the twisties, just a nice solid feel. it has the benefits of a wagon in terms of space but drives more like a sedan. Good room and the hatch and roof racks are nice.

the downside is the OBS doesn't have the nice trim, options, leather, heated seats, and is just a generally smaller and lesser optioned and trimmed car. if you like newer, updated stuff and trim the OBS might not be a good fit.

the nice thing is that the WRX 6 disc in-dash CD player is a direct fit.

there are some pictures on here of lifted OBS - Andyjo comes to mind i believe is his username and some others if you want to check those out.

Ya im not too stressed on trim packages and heated seats. I have just had cheap cars for a while and want an upgrade that i can drive cross country if i wanted. So this OBS with the 2.2 is the Ej22 i am assuming?

Oh and one other option i may look at tomorrow is this wagon. It looks like its had all the work done on the new HG and timing belt and water pump. Looks like it may be on a fresh start and worth considering.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=443&sid=&tab=list/view&ad=1237564

i'm only on really slow internet now, so i can't check the links. in general having the head gasket done is quiet a plus, so sounds good.

and yes the 2.2 is the EJ22.

not trying to be too picky, it's a bit subjective. but for example: a one owner car, done at a subaru dealer, that's good stuff. a salesmen that picked it up yesterday to fix with his only tool, a leatherman, and flip doesn't give me warm fuzzies. you'll be dealing with something in between.

these aren't necessities, just good points to consider if you get to see the paper work and ask questions:

it's nice to have the entire timing components replaced (known as a timing kit - tensioner and pulleys), but not critically necessary. but having new belt, gaskets, and water pump is a definite plus, that's essential what you want.

hopefully it has a few miles on it or has receipts so it's known to be a good job. there's very specific processes for installing head gaskets.

ya this one is looking promising. It had the HG done 10k ago, the timing belt and water pump done 8k ago, says he has all documentation available so it may have had the pulleys etc done too. It has 130k so not too high mileage and has the service up to date. he is asking 5200 and its a manual. Clean title, clean body, new tires last year, only downside looks like a windshield crack. And scratches on bumper.