Ultimate Subaru Message Board

90 loyale power steering pump ready to fly apart.......

hello, my 90 loyal 4wd wagon 5 speed w/230,000 miles has a power steering pump pulley and shaft that is wobbling around and ready to fly apart.

i have owned it for about four months and the effort to steer it always seemed pretty hard. after i noticed the pulley wobble i checked the fluid and its not showing on the stick. who knows how long its been run like that. but i apparently have not had power steering since i owned it. this car has air conditioning so i wonder if its possible to run this without the pump altogether or if i must replace it? or where is good place to get a cheap used pump? i don't see a way to run with out it but not sure, and also is the rack ok without it? any help is appreciated. i got this for 50 dollars and i want to maintain it as cheaply as possible while keeping it reliable. the a/c currently doesn't work, but i may fix that this summer...........

i already replaced front wheel bearings/seals.

new clutch and bigger wheels/mud tires coming soon.

runs perfect and feels like more than 90 h.p.

tons of fun in mud and snow!! :grin:

Where are you located? I have an extra one but would have to ship it unless you're in Colorado. If you're in a subaru rich area like the NW, it's probably easier to just get another one. If you're in the east... no one's heard of subaru's, and maybe shipping it would be worth it.

Z

Where are you located? I have an extra one but would have to ship it unless you're in Colorado. If you're in a subaru rich area like the NW, it's probably easier to just get another one. If you're in the east... no one's heard of subaru's, and maybe shipping it would be worth it.

Z

I totally agree with this.

You don't see hardly any Subarus compared to Toyotas and Nissans here in Va.

Slim pickings in our local wrecking yards as far as Subarus go as well.

located in lasalle illinois, 61301. i know all the yards around here well, they haven't seen one in years!! sounds great, shipping can't be too bad, its the smallest power steering pump i ever saw in my life!! LOL let me know how much you want for it and thanks alot!!!

it looks like i may buy a whole parts car with pump on it, found through a friend sittin in the mud on a farm with cracked heads. i need to update my location information obviously, my fault i didn't have my state listed. appreciate the help though. thanks and now i will have parts to return the favor to some other midwestern subie owner i hope.

Edited by ballpeen1
miss spelling, nice!!