Ultimate Subaru Message Board

distributor change

lets just say I need to do this and be done with it.....

I need to put a points type distributor or a 2 wire in an 87.5 XT. I have so far made the successful transition from FI to carbs but the start of all this is a major harness failure so I need to swap out the distributor and get rid of the original problem. What distributor should I use? Can I use an early 2 wire for an EA82 ? If so, where do I wire it in? If I go points, I'd assume I'm using an EA81 dizzy and have to change out the drive gear?

thanks

Bill

I've never seen an EA81 with points even (1982 is the oldest I've owned)... you might have to go back to an EA71 distributor or something.

You're going back to carbureators and points ignition? Why? (my dad wants to do the same to his '96 Outback too...) The carbs from the 60's aren't bad, but the late 70's and 80's ones are awful... fuel injection was a big advance IMO.

I'm switching most of my older stuff to diesel's, because they seem to run better for me. I hate ignition systems for gas engines when they stop working...

Z

well, what started out as a simple fix to a problem has become a rather beast of a hot rod....how 'bout a pair of Weber 48 IDA's sitting above each head? Took a VW shorty manifold and siamese'd it to the old spider flange. You open the hood and this thing looks scary as crap. Whats REALLY nice is all the snakes (hoses/etc) are gone.

well, what started out as a simple fix to a problem has become a rather beast of a hot rod....how 'bout a pair of Weber 48 IDA's sitting above each head? Took a VW shorty manifold and siamese'd it to the old spider flange. You open the hood and this thing looks scary as crap. Whats REALLY nice is all the snakes (hoses/etc) are gone.

Hmmmm. That does sound like a beast. I've never seen more than three carbs on a car before (6 clyinder jaguar).

Z

Wonder if something (HEI type) from a 4 cylinder GM product could be made to work. Wondering because I bought an ER27 a few years back that was modified for an aircraft install and it has a GM HEI distributor. Asked the seller about it when I bought the engine and he told me all he did was to replace the gear at the bottom of the shaft. He used the stock Subaru gear so it meshed with the camshaft gear.

There's no reason to use "points" style units. The electronic, breakerless two-wire units from any EA82 carb model will work just fine.

Points were used through 78 or 79 on EA71's and earlier. There are very, very few of them around and they would require a gear change to fit the EA82.... which may or may not be feasible depending on their shaft/housing design.

GD

Yellow wire to the negative coil terminal, black w/white wire to the positive.

You should switch to the coil that's designed for whatever distributor you use. The resistance values for the primary and secondary windings are carefully picked to match the module in the distributor.

GD