Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone have any experience with this stuff? the bottle says add 1/2 a can to the trans which shouldn't overfill it. Do you just leave it in or do a flush after a certain amount of time? i have a 97 legacy, don't know if it's ever had the fluid changed.

I have used Seafoam as an additive to the engine oil and gas tank with good results. As an additive, I have always thought of the product as a detergent agent meant to clean off engine deposits.

I am not familiar with Seafoam trans tune, but if it is like their other products, the detergent property would not be something that I would leave in my trany for a lengthy period of time. That could conceiveably create problems.

If it were me, I don't think I would use this product. Suggest doing three drain and fills, (with some short driving between drain and fills) with new ATF. This is what I have done with both of my Subies to produce clean ATF on the dip stick rag.

I'm with Rooster2 on this.

Never used the trans tune.

Love the regular seafoam for O2 sensors on Suby's, for sludge issues on VW 2.0's, etc.

But I think of it as a detergent and as such want to dain it ALL out. Which you really can't do well on a tranny.

seafom is not all its cracked up to be. if you want something that does work and proven to work there is a company called conklin. they have many things that work (aditives , oils). they have auto, home, and pet products. check some of your small local auto shops to see if they sell it. every thing is highly tested with oil samples. oil sampled dont lie. i use the oil and fuel aditives myself and i'm going to get trany aditive soon also. my family car is a 05 ford freestyle with the cvt tranny. the conklin rep. in my area had no test results on that fluid so he went and bought a new bottle and sent it out to be tested. it came back and had no anti-wear or cleaners in it. conklin don't advertise like all these companys because they know they work. they advertise by word of mouth. it's not very cheep stuff but like i said the products do work. the owner himself said they will go bankrupt or close the door before thy cheepen the product. if you can't find a dealer i have a meeting on may 5th and pm me and let me know where exatly where you live and i'll help find you a dealer if you want. http://www.conklin.com

seafom is not all its cracked up to be. if you want something that does work and proven to work there is a company called conklin. they have many things that work (aditives , oils). they have auto, home, and pet products. check some of your small local auto shops to see if they sell it. every thing is highly tested with oil samples. oil sampled dont lie. i use the oil and fuel aditives myself and i'm going to get trany aditive soon also. my family car is a 05 ford freestyle with the cvt tranny. the conklin rep. in my area had no test results on that fluid so he went and bought a new bottle and sent it out to be tested. it came back and had no anti-wear or cleaners in it. conklin don't advertise like all these companys because they know they work. they advertise by word of mouth. it's not very cheep stuff but like i said the products do work. the owner himself said they will go bankrupt or close the door before thy cheepen the product. if you can't find a dealer i have a meeting on may 5th and pm me and let me know where exatly where you live and i'll help find you a dealer if you want. http://www.conklin.com

Your a new Conklin dealer? or one that is being persuaded to become one? Their products are second to none, but their network marketing practices are a joke.

Been a dealer for a long time, best product they have for Subies is their radiator stop leak for phase II 2.5 motor head gasket problems. Its a stop leak product that stays suspended in the antifreeze till there is a leak and then seals it until you flush the cooling system, since its a temporary seal and not a permanent one, most NASCAR teams use it. Their 15,000 mile molly motor oils would be good for a subie engine too, planning on putting in my new to me 01 H6 VDC OBW I just got.

Edited by skibumm

I have used the transtune a few times for flushing things, usually the power steering system hoping it will pull out varnishes (this is one of the few times I've seen Subaru recommend a flush chemical is for the power steering system). I have used it on some lawn tractor hydraulic systems again hoping to get out varnish. I did use it on one soob's AT that seemed sticky, I didn't leave it in though, just ran it with the old ATF before changeout. I'll see if I can find the ingredients. I know the normal seafoam is made up of a fair amount of just isopropyl alchohol I think it was iirc.

slapchop1.jpg

Ok regular seafoam msds from some era is avilable here http://www.montanajacks.com/msds/seafoam-msds.pdf

Regular seafoam appears to be mainly some oil and solvents. Percentages are by weight.

PALE OIL 40-60%

NAPHTHA 25-35%

IPA 10-20%

Seafoam transtune let's see if I can find that.... http://www.unitedsuppliers.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=wRpooMkE%2FYg%3D&tabid=78&mid=581&forcedownload=true

Ahhhhhhh well now this is interesting. The msds for both products is the same and there is blurb up at the top:

SEA FOAM MOTOR TREATMENT Part No. SF-16

SEA FOAM TRANS TUNE Part No. TT-16

Each product contains the same ingredients; however, the percentage of each ingredient varies within the limits of the printed percentages, depending on the use of each product.