Ultimate Subaru Message Board

You don't want it to engage when there is no pressure. If the compressor clutch and pressure switch etc are good as you add pressure to the low side it will eventually engage. Do you have the 'ol 12A or the 134A system? If the system has been dead for some time you really want to have it vacuumed before just adding refrig.

Will definitely be a r12 system. As long as the system has never been opened should be fine though. When you hook up the bottle, see if the guage shows any pressure, if not, THEN you definitely need a vacuum as suggested.

With my 93 it used to leak during the winter and then I would have to refill it in the summer. Last year I used that r12a stuff, and the stop leak product. So far the system is still 100% and did not leak at all. Nice and ice cold! Ontop of that the car had been sitting for a while!

Will definitely be a r12 system. As long as the system has never been opened should be fine though. When you hook up the bottle, see if the guage shows any pressure, if not, THEN you definitely need a vacuum as suggested.

With my 93 it used to leak during the winter and then I would have to refill it in the summer. Last year I used that r12a stuff, and the stop leak product. So far the system is still 100% and did not leak at all. Nice and ice cold! Ontop of that the car had been sitting for a while!

eric

How do you know when to run a vacuum

why do you?

and how do you (i have access to a vacuum pump from work)

I disconnected one of my hoses and wondering why i would need to draw a vacum

thanks

YOu need to get all the moistur eout of the AC system. You have to read up on how AC works and to get a better understanding of what to do, otherwise your just going to throw money away.

Also not being able to pull down a vac will tell you if there is a leak in the system or not. Your system is not "empty" its just at atmospheric pressure.

nipper