Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i have a 95 legacy wagon 2.2 automatic 2wd . had a no start the other day, replaced battery no change, so i replaced the starter and still no change. i can't see were there's a starter relay on a automatic unless i missed it in the pictures. so if anyone has any ideas i would like to here them.

thanks steve

important info: mileage, Check engine light?, any recent work, has it ever had a tune up?

quick tests that should always be done with a no start:

spark - check for good spark at all 4 plugs

fuel - make sure the engine is getting fuel. i just pull the fuel line and watch fuel squirt every where. the 10 seconds it takes is well worth the small mess that evaporates and is forgotten about shortly afterwards.

common problems are:

cam and crank sensors

coil pack

timing belt break?

there's some others too, but let's get some more info rolling before we fill your cart with 2 dozen possibilities.

Since you tried replacing the battery and the starter I assume the starter isn't working and the engine isn't turning over. Try starting it in neutral if that is the case. There is an inhibit switch for automatics. It is near the top of the transmission and may just need adjustment.

If you are hearing a clicking when you try to start it then the starter solenoid contacts may need to be replaced.

fusible link, bad ground, bad ignition switch.

check fusible link (easy).

try grounding the battery directly to the battery. not sure how to do that actually, but i've done it before. car would start every time so that told me the ground wire somewhere was hosed. i found the bad wire later and fixed it. but "jumping" it via the ground on the starter and negative post verified it.

not sure about EJ ignition switch stuff.

hope you get it.

It sounds like you are having trouble getting power to the main panel under the hood. If so you need to check the wiring between the battery and the panel. Use a test light probe to make sure power is getting to where it should be when the key is turned to ON.