Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What's it doing, not putting out? Haven't attempted any interal alternator repairs, but the issue could be the regulator/rectifier, that thing with the IH247 writing on it. You might be able to get that part separately on eBay or something like that (if it's the problem).

This is one I was looking at on eBay, I have a '00obw alternator that started putting out 16 volts:

regulator1.jpg

Found this in the files:

alternator-troubleshooting-chart1.gif

have you priced a new regulator or diode trio vs the cost of a rebuilt alt?

There is a saying penny wise and dollar foolish. Sometimes the replacement part (just 1) is many times more then the cost of a replacement alt.

nipper

have you priced a new regulator or diode trio vs the cost of a rebuilt alt?

There is a saying penny wise and dollar foolish. Sometimes the replacement part (just 1) is many times more then the cost of a replacement alt.

nipper

well then how can a rebuild outfit do any work? i can only assume they use substandard parts to keep costs down?

example i rebuild the alt in my jeep about 10 years ago using this AFFORDABLE rebuild kit, its still going.

http://store.alternatorparts.com/partnod1-7130icebergalternatorconversionkitforthedelco-remycs-130type.aspx

im not im just being cheap, what do i get by doing this swap?

The 90 through 94 Legacy used one type of alternator and then changed to something different in 95. The old style should be difficult to mine whereas the newer should be easy. I like to think I am also frugal. If this was my problem, I would just visit the local wrecking yard and get an alternator and its plug from a 98 or 99 whatever.

The 90 through 94 Legacy used one type of alternator and then changed to something different in 95. The old style should be difficult to mine whereas the newer should be easy. I like to think I am also frugal. If this was my problem, I would just visit the local wrecking yard and get an alternator and its plug from a 98 or 99 whatever.

prabably what i will do, thing is cores like that are usually the first to go from cars...

I am unaware of a complete alternator rebuild kit being available for a Sub alternator, like the complete kit that you got for your Jeep. Without a complete rebuild kit, IMHO, it is not worth the time/money trying to chase down the individual rebuild parts to rebuild the alternator on your own, and only hope that you got the correct parts in your search process.

In my opinion, you are far better off buying a rebuilt alternator, or getting a used one from a wrecking yard.