Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Input on 95 legacy poss purchase

Okay, so as some of you may or may not know, I've got an 89 dl wagon ea82 that for the most part I love. Right now at the lot across from our salvage yard, there is a burgundy 95 legacy, cant tell from here the exact model, but it is a wagon. They are asking 3300 for it, has 145000 miles on it its AWD. Seriously thinking about trading of my 93 sidekick towards it. Now i've never driven that generation of Subaru. I've noticed numerous posts on subes like this. I guess I'm asking what those people impressions are on the vehicle. Problem wise, benefits...so on and so forth. If they hold up as well in the woods, mountains and dirt roads as well as my current one I'd love it. Also from reading other posts, it seems that alot of you favor the ej22 seems alot of people try and swap these into their older subes, is this because its a more superior engine and if so how, thanks for the input.

As someone who generally prefers the EA wagons to the EJ series ones... here's my impressions...

the EJ22 legacy will have way more power, and but still almost the same gas mileage as the EA82 -- maybe about 3 or 4mpg less, but not much for how much more power it has (this was from driving a '94 legacy... not sure if the '95 is as good -- I think the weight went up). It'll handle just as good on most roads, and better on the highway. Cruising at 85 on the highway becomes an option (depending on the speed limit where you are...). The AWD is nice on gravel and stuff -- don't have to think about it.

It will not do as well offroad or on bumpy dirt roads -- not as much clearance, and it's bigger with squooshier springs. I like the actual 4wd of the older ones in loose stuff and snow. It won't last as long on two track roads as an old wagon would (based on my EA82 wagon, and a friends EJ22 legacy that we take on the same "driveway" all the time). It wont' have low range... which in deep snow or really bumpy stuff can be a serious drawback.

If it's got the automatic tranny.. the 4EAT actually does't suck quite as much as most automatics.... It's still an automatic, which I hate for mountain driving... but it's the least bad automatic I've driven.

So, if by dirt road, you mean something that looks like it might have been graded this year.... it'll be faster and handle better and be a much nicer car to ride in. If you mean something that most people would take a jeep up... then the older EA82 wagon will be a little better.

since I went from driving EA to EJ ( Ok I jumped to an 08..first.. but still) I have to say... I love my 95 legacy wagon...parts are easier to get..the motor is bullet proof ( its still non-interference) It handles off roading just fine...you pull the suspension and body lift blocks off an outback to lift it. The ride is 100% better then my EA series cars. Nice and smooth and it never seems to struggle to do 75+ on the highway. Yes they are a bit heavy..but extremely capable. The gas mileage could be better in my opinion..but I was spoiled ..my 92 FWD 5 spd Loyale would get 40+ mpg highway..and my 08 Impreza 2.5i 5 spd gets about 32 mpg if I dont mess with it too much.

But I think the price is high...I picked mine up for $250 and it needed a tranny...had everything but leather heated seats ( which is fine..I dont like leather anyway) and it has 182K on it.

a couple of us offroad our 95s and we go everywhere the jeeps go..but like I stated..ours are lifted slightly and are running bigger wheels.

Edited by Bucky92

Well I'm takin it home today, the body is nearly perfect. I pointed out to him that it almost looks like the harmonic balancer is wobbling but it could be an illusion. In any case there is a non constant rattle from the top or front of the engine, its more of a metallic rattle than anything, not sure...he told me to take it and investigate. The gas mileage in my 89 dl is roughly 15 to 16 mpg, which I think is pretty crappy but haven't figured out yet why its that bad, or if its supposed to be about there. I'll take it tonight and see how it does.

My 89 GL 4x4 averaged around 27, and could get 31 on the highway. As low as 22 bashing through snowdrifts. My old '82 4x4 GL averaged around 26mpg when I bought it, but kept dropping... was down to about 23mpg when I retired it -- carb was shot. My '84 GL 4x4 averaged more like 27mpg. Something's wrong with yours....

I only had the '94 legacy with the 4EAT for a week, but I averaged 26 with it over that week -- mostly highway driving -- up to 29, almost 30 on the highway.

Z