Ultimate Subaru Message Board

On 4/27/09 the local clown inde car repair shop (whose name shall remain El Bern Garage on Maassholle Ave in Boston) told my wife there was an exhaust leak, and failed the car for inspection. My bro the mechanic and I did the rag over exhaust pipe test and could find no leak by listening and searching with a flashlight.

So, I took it back in and spoke to the owner, I said, “can you show me where the exhaust leak is since you failed the car?” He replies, “uh, yeah, there’s a charge to put it up on a lift and inspect it.” Then I said, “well, I took it to my mechanic and he and I searched for a leak and couldn’t find one.” The weasel then started to backpeddle, “oh, uh, it was probably an audible, let me see.” He starts the car, presses the rag over the exhaust pipe and says, “aw, there’s good pressure there, that’s all they care about.” Then he slaps the new sticker on the car.

No wonder car repair shops have the worst reputation for scamming.

I am 2 for 2 now in my recent dealings with car repair shop monkies.

So it was 4/27 and the sticker was good through 4/30? I am sure they saw the dollar signs. Reminds me of a place that told me on 30th of July many years ago that all four wheel bearings were "loose" on my late Ford

and they had to keep the car because it was "unsafe" to drive. They left it in the bay with the key in, so I had to get in and drive it out. Ah, memories (if we're naming names, it was Wilson Auto on Rte. 120 S in Lebanon, NH).

Crikey Avk, that blows they tried to feed you that loose bearing scam. I tell my brother all the time, it is priceless having a certified mechanic for a brother!

Yep, they were trying to scare my wife into paying for an imaginary repair. In Mass, if they fail the car, you get a Rejection sticker in the window and you have 60 days to repair the car and come back to have it pass inspection. What I love, is how he starts off with his load of crap that he is going to CHARGE me to put it on the lift and inspect it! FIRK U PAL !!! What did my wife pay you the $29 dollar "inspection fee" for if not to inspect the car to begin with !!!!!!!!!!!! whatta worm this guy is.

Edited by unibrook

my wife took hers in for an inspection and she got the same thing, needs rear brakes, front rotors and p/s belt. i called them and b*tched, then i go in and inspect the car with them. well once it was all said and done, it only needed front rotors, and they gave them to me for free, with pads, to keep me from calling the state and reporting them.

i love free. :banana:

i also love winning an argument.:banana:

my wife took hers in for an inspection and she got the same thing, needs rear brakes, front rotors and p/s belt. i called them and b*tched, then i go in and inspect the car with them. well once it was all said and done, it only needed front rotors, and they gave them to me for free, with pads, to keep me from calling the state and reporting them.

i love free. :banana:

i also love winning an argument.:banana:

did you report them anyway