Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Going To Paint My Wheels, Need Prep Advice (W/ Teaser Pic)

I have a set of WRX wheels that have the stock RE92's that are about wore out on my 91 Legacy. After my failed attempt at finding some 98 5 spoke goldies, I have decided to paint my WRX wheels. I am ordering the gold spray paint from Grimmspeed because their gold supposedly matches BBS gold perfectly. First thing I am going to do is have me a new set of tires put on and have them move the wheel weight to the inside so I don't have to worry about painting over it again in the future. I still have the factory 6 spokes on it and just plan on hanging onto them. I got two big sheds so I already have a paint booth to utilize. I am needing to know what is the best method of sanding them down for me to primer them.

Here is my photoshop concept picture:

4196_95180378227_504113227_2645143_2761873_n.jpg

Durania, I suspect no one is answering because there are as many approaches to this as there are USMB members! But . . . I'll stick my neck out and say how I'd tackle it.

I'd do all of this with the old tires still on the rims:

1. Take the wheel off and clean all dirt and grease off with detergent or Simple Green.

2. Remove the old finish (paint, clearcoat) with paint stripper. May take a couple of goes.

3. Wet sand thoroughly with progressive grades (400/600/1000?) of wet-and-dry sandpaper.

Then have the new tires mounted and balanced, and:

4. Wash thoroughly again, wipe down with degreaser.

5. Mask and spray.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

I'd paint the rims with the tires off. That way you can paint the entire rim (front, back and sides). Also after you've finished painting the rims I'd give them about 3 coats of wheel clear coat. I use duplicolor: http://www.duplicolor.com/products/wheel.html

Also a couple of notes. If you're using metallic paint make sure that it isn't too cold when the paint is drying or it will crack. And do several light coats so that the metallic applies evenly (light coat, let dry, then apply light coat again). I've painted a ton of rims and these are lessens I've learned the hard way.

If you take your time and do it right they will turn out great.

Good luck and make sure to post some photos when they are finished.

Absolutely, paint them with the tires off.

As to prepping them, I'd pay to have them glass beaded (sand blasted if they are really rough).

I don't think I'd remove the finish on the inner 3/4 of the rims. I'd clean that and just paint over it to insure that the aluminum will not be corroded in the future.