Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replace water pump but there's a minor leak

I've successfully replaced my water pump in my 91 legacy and the car runs fine. But there's a leak between where the thermostat housing meets the water pump. I can't figure out why. Does anyone know what the problem might be? I put the gasket intside the water pump first, put the thermostat over that then attached the thermostat housing.

ditto

This is a 91 and I'm confused. Are you saying it goes like the attached picture?

Also, I snapped one of the damn bolts that screws into the houseing and water pump. Where is the easiest place to find another one?

Thanks

post-23521-136027633171_thumb.jpg

Also, I snapped one of the damn bolts that screws into the houseing and water pump. Where is the easiest place to find another one?[

Someplace such as Ace Hardware. It's just a metric bolt with standard thread pitch in its size, proobably M6 iirc or possibly M8.

Yep - now you've got it. It really gets squished when you tighten the plastic snout.

I can probably get you some bolts tomorrow - but by the time I'd mail them, etc the hardware store (or dealer) would be easier.

I'm thinking they may have a coating to resist rust? Kinda look a little like brass(yellowish) but aren't brass.