Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hit a moose in the justy

Or, more properly, it hit me. I was going about 5mph up a dirt road, trying not to hit any of the 5 dogs that came out of a house to bark at me. Suddenly, a moose hit the left front fender and tumbled acros the hood, and walked away to the right side and stood there glaring at me with another moose. It was either charging the car, or the dogs, or maybe both. Smashed in the left fender, broke the marker light and put some dents in the hood. Mangled up one windshield wiper -- I have no idea how it managed to avoid breaking the windshield. Overall, very little damage for something the size of a large horse. But still, kind of more excitment than I was really needing on a thursday evening....

Oh, other wierd karmic thing. I knew I wasn't going to like what I found up this road before I even started up it -- though I wasn't expecting a moose. The creek at the bottom had turned orange and twice the normal volume, so I suspected the old mine tunnel at the top had burst with all the fresh influx of groundwater from the 4 feet of snow melting the last two weeks and was draining the backed up water into the creek. Turns out, yes. Plus, a grumpy pair of meese. :mad:

Many years ago ( at least thats how it feels) I blasted a big buck deer on the highway with my Justy. I was doing at least 65-70 at the time ..suprisingly..the Justy survived with a cracked grill and a dent in the hood. Turns out it leg sweeped the deer and then tossed it over the roof. BTW the derer ran off and I couldnt find him to see if he was hurt or not.

Moral to the story...they are tough little cars. I miss mine sometimes.

Glad you are ok and the Justy isnt too bad. Here a few years back a moose killed a woman. And they arent seen here usually.

Thank the greenies for introducing moose into Colorado. It's my understanding they were never there before.

You are incorrect. The "greenies" have only (re)introduced moose on the Grand Mesa in CO (12 cows 25 bulls total). (actually it was the CDOW that did it). The rest of the moose are here on there very own accord. Always have been, and their numbers are increasing in a lot of areas. In fact if those greenies had there way, they would introduce wolves into RMNP, drastically reducing the success of the moose in and around the park, where their population is currently exploding. And no I am not a "greenie" nor do I want wolves to be reintroduced here, I just get a kick out of these things. You know, someone hits a moose, so someone takes the opportunity to kick a hippy in the nuts.

Where was this, Zyewdall?

And one more thing for the record. The first planting of Moose on the Mesa was 3 individuals that were originally captured right here in colorful Colorado. Most of the others were caught in Utah.

Edited by the sucker king

... Ttiwwop? ...

I Was Wonderin` What could it Mean, But Then I Understood!

:)

This:

WorthlessWithoutPics.gif?t=1242447232

The Most Important is that Nobody got Hurt.

Wellw e arent sure about the moose yet, i bet he hurt like hell the next day.

A dent free Justy is a rare thing, and that Justy is pretty sweet, so the dents are lamentable, BUT, at least you have a great story behind them (grocery carts aren't very exciting) and now it looks kind of bad rump roast. It has a "don't mess with me" "moosehammer" look to it.