Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mount an EA82 PS pump on your EA81 with my kit! Works with SPFI swaps too!!

You can't fit a power steering rack to a non-power steering cross-member without major reworking of the cross-member. It's not viable. Much better to find an EA81 power rack and cross-member.

GD

A slight opening up of the hole that the steering shfat goes through and it is done. Now Using an EJ rack would be alot harder, but still doable. Again, one hole cut through the crossmember and it's done.

Not really a *MAJOR* reworking required. Have you tried finding an EA81 PS rack? there aren't that many out there.

EA82 racks, on the other hand are like feathers at a chicken farm.

You would also at least have to dimount the spot welded skid plate mount and bolt it on instead to get the rack in anc out. I have never seen it done nor a write up on it. But i'll check into it if it's that easy.

Aa for aquiring EA81 PS racks - they are fairly plentiful here still. Not in most places though.

GD

• 3 weeks later...

I have been playing with putting power steering into my 85 brat and it has been a PITA thus far. EA82 x members are about 2 inches wider which means that the control arms are also two inches farther out which means that your wheels are being screwed up camber wise. I have been making some alterations to me EA81 x member to fit the steering rack from the EA82 inside of it. My only problem now is to get the tie rods shorter, (EA82 rods are 2 inches longer of course.) or to somehow attach the brats tie rods to the power steering rack. Main problem being that the brat tie rods are female ends and the EA82's are male. Talking with some machine shops about making a custom bolt that can be threaded into the brats tie rods so that it can be threaded into the power steering rack. Either that or i am going to cut the tie rod from the EA82 and get it re-threaded making it a shorter tie rod. Around here EA81 power steering racks and cross members are pretty much non existent and i don't have the money to buy one and have it shipped to me. I this works you can all expect a write up with pictures for those of us who like the pretty colors. :grin:

Just change the whole tie rod to an EA81 inner tie rod. They thread on the same and the overall length of the rack's are the same.

GD

If you are saying to use the EA81 tie rods on the EA82 rack, that was my first try but it doesn't work. The EA81 inner tie rods are female while the EA82 are male.

If you are saying to use the EA81 tie rods on the EA82 rack, that was my first try but it doesn't work. The EA81 inner tie rods are female while the EA82 are male.

Then shorten the EA82 tie-rods and re-thread them. Easily done with a vice and a die. Check some of the tool dealer's for a proper sized die (being metric it might be a bit obscure).

GD