Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lost 5 mpg

i dont know much about your car, but is the distrubitor been recurved (the advance springs), hows the vacuum advance hooked up? usually this helps a lot. are the jets correct? im going to give you the benefit of the doubt in that you have the proper jets for your car.

whats the initial timing?

Timing is advance plenty, +15 I think it is. Jets I am not sure of I just stuck it on. Didnt seem like there were too many options for jetting, when I was looking at the book. Seemed the ones I wanted were in a range from sea level to 5000'. I'm thinking leaning it out some is what I will do. It seems kinda fat. Dist. is stock. Vacuum is to the port on the Weber itself.

This is my 2nd tank of gas so I havent done anything aside from check mileage and tell you about it.

Timing is advance plenty, +15 I think it is. Jets I am not sure of I just stuck it on. Didnt seem like there were too many options for jetting, when I was looking at the book. Seemed the ones I wanted were in a range from sea level to 5000'. I'm thinking leaning it out some is what I will do. It seems kinda fat. Dist. is stock. Vacuum is to the port on the Weber itself.

This is my 2nd tank of gas so I havent done anything aside from check mileage and tell you about it.

15 doesnt sound like a lot to me. go for more. yeah recirving the disty will make a great increase in mileage and power, thats if you want that kind of thing. :)

I bumped the timing up today. Rechecked the carb settings. In other words, did it as described by manufacturers suggestions. I'll try it a bit before I dig into the top. Pretty sure I will lean it out if this doesnt help. They suggest that 0-5000' is the same jet, which is probably pretty fat for me. I am at 2500' and only go up from here, leaning out is probably needed.

You may need to install one of those $20.00 Fuel Pressure Regulators in the supply line to the carb. Some of us running Webers have had to so.

With a warmed engine, at idle speed, listen to the carb. Do you hear an occasional "snap" sound? Ifso, install the FPR. Don't know the reason for it, but some fuel pumps put out more pressure than the Weber likes.

I'm running one on my '86 BRAT with EA-82 carb intake on an older solid lifter motor of unknown mileage, timing set at 10*. Last milleage check was 316.xx miles driven and 11 gallons to refill tank, roughly 28.5 MPG.

I drive on mostly back country roads with a top speed of 55 MPH, roughly 64 miles round trip for work everyday. I have hit high 30's for MPG a couple times, but usually in the 28-29 area. Last winter I was down to 26-27 with all the warm-up/defrost windows time.

I'm pretty good with setting up carbs, I wont get this tweaked any better as it stands now. The thing really gets up and goes at this point. Like I said, when its warm it doesnt take much to flood it when you start it. I know I will have to pull the top and see what jets are in it, I am sure it is too rich for my elevation.

When I got my hatch from Mudrat 5-6 years ago he warned me that it probably would need rejetting. from the start of an onramp to the freeway it would just leave like none other but by the time I hit the freeway the bowl was empty( cough and sputter ) I got bad mileage but tons of power. I had it rejetted because I am a very basic mechanic ask turbone and QMan! Anyway rejetting solved a lot of my problems.