Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea81, strut replacement

I have two subaru struts (never installed, bought at Habitat). I need to order the top strut mount components. I saw a blowup of parts at my suby parts dept. They included some specialty washers (at 16.00 a piece)a rubber bushing (I assume with the bearing). The mount that bolts into the wheel well...

Has anyone ordered these parts and can clear up what I need to order. The parts guy didn't have a clue.

Autozone had more what I expected, I just don't know if it is brand specific. Like does gabriel use something different than subaru?

The parts aren't cheap. Thanks dp.

Im not quite following you but maybe this helps, this is for your BRAT right?

IIRC, there is a series of washers. I reused the old ones on the new struts they were in ok shape, when you compress the spring and dissasemble the strut assy. its easy to mix them up. They are the bearing, I cleaned and greased them and stacked everything in the order it came off. But its been a long time so its fuzzy. The dealer is the only place you will find the "bearing" or thrust washer part without the mount.

I just picked up some new strut mounts from the dealer today for $57 (part # 721033010). I was going to see what my thrust washers and bushing looked like and reuse or replace depending on condition.

The mounts are kind of expensive (my new front GR2's only cost $50ea. w/shipping), but considering their importance and the amount of load bearing they do I, personally, would look for the best price you can find on the highest quality, but I realize that is not always an option. For me it was between the KYB unit or the Fuji. The KYB is $56 at rock auto before shipping.

The dealer will usually quote you a higher price, but if you mention the competitions price they can make adjustments...depending on the temperament of the person behind the counter and their opinion of Older Gen subies.

Looks like I will be getting the the top of the strut that bolts onto the wheel well, the rubber bushing with the bearing. Two at 71.00 bucks each from the suby dealer. Gonna take a week to get them.

Add up wheel bearings, seals, ball joints, tie rod ends. I already have two new rotors and pads. Gonna be a nicer ride, but will end up with 400 into it.

Anyone need to hire a carpenter? Geeze.