Ultimate Subaru Message Board

If the car shook at all I'd call it a balance problem, and I will get the wheels balanced, but I haven't seen this before.

The steering wheel it moving back and forth at about the right cadence for it to be a balance problem, but the dash, shifter, body wherever I can reach it has no vibration at all. The steering wheel doesn't have any up-down vibration at all, just a quick rotational vibration.

Is that just how an out-of-balance wheel or two shows up on these subies?

There are so many other things that are 'just a little different' on these cars, figured I'd ask.

When I get a chance I'll get 'em balanced, rotate the tires if need be, maybe I'll have to (finally) buy a dial indicator...

Dave

Steering wheel shimmy (oscillation) can have a few different causes. Sure, at some point buy a dial indicator and you can check rotors and wheels for runout. But before you do, definitely rotate the tires (swap fronts with rears) and see if the problem is eliminated or at least changes in nature -- if it doesn't change at all, it isn't likely to be wheel balance, a shifted tire belt, or a rim being bent. If it changes significantly, then check for those things.

Steering wheel shimmy (oscillation) can have a few different causes. Sure, at some point buy a dial indicator and you can check rotors and wheels for runout. But before you do, definitely rotate the tires (swap fronts with rears) and see if the problem is eliminated or at least changes in nature -- if it doesn't change at all, it isn't likely to be wheel balance, a shifted tire belt, or a rim being bent. If it changes significantly, then check for those things.

I too, suggest rotating the tires to see if that changes or stops the shimmy. My wager is that the problem stems from a tire with a bad belt, or could be a wheel balance, or bent road wheel. Guess, I fully agree with what's printed above.