Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'96 OBW 2.2L 5spd, 203k

I've got one or more noisy lifters. I'm ordering valve cover gaskets and the grommets so I could go in there and bleed them.

In your (the collective "your") experience, how often have you (the collective "you") found that an HLA couldn't be bled and had to be replaced?

I ask 'cause this is my daily driver and I want to minimize down time so I thought I might order a lifter or two at the same time as a preemptive measure.

As always, thanks!!!

I think they can fail so that they simply won't hold prime. Also turning the crank too much while doing the timing belt supposedly can make them bleed down. Some notes on endwrench imply that after the engine idles for like a half hour or somethign they would reprime themselves. I haven't had any issues with them on my '96 2.2L but it only has about 125k miles.

I think they can fail so that they simply won't hold prime. Also turning the crank too much while doing the timing belt supposedly can make them bleed down. Some notes on endwrench imply that after the engine idles for like a half hour or somethign they would reprime themselves. I haven't had any issues with them on my '96 2.2L but it only has about 125k miles.

which totally makes sense! I do not see how they would not reprime themselves unless there was something obstructing oil flow to them.

Generally, if they make noise there is another issue. Usually, it involves the oil pump. Delta Cam does have new lifters available at about half what dealer charges. You should pull the pump and check clearances between the gears. If that checks out make sure you have a good set of gaskets and o-rings and then consider replacing the lifters.

They will not bleed off and not pump back up if they are good.

Hmm... Thanks for the good info, I didn't think to suspect the oil pump.

My T-belt still has another 20k or so, but I guess I'll move that up and check out the pump. I put loctite on the screws the last time I was in there, but who knows.

Qman, thanks for the tip of the cheaper HLA's, I'll remember that if I need to replace.

Will-

I've had a few bad ones. Sometimes they collapse and just wont pump up no matter how much you run it. I've always just put other used ones in and fixed it that way. The local U-pull gets $10 for complete rocker shafts with lifters. Can't beat that, just put the whole thing in and done.

which totally makes sense! I do not see how they would not reprime themselves unless there was something obstructing oil flow to them.

yeah, they get tiny specs off carbon buildup in the little holes that keep them from holding up.

I've had a few others be just completely collapsed and stuck that way.

Make sure you don't nick the faces when you pull them fronm the rockers (pliers required)

The nasty oil that splooges out when you press the pin while they are submerged in clean oil looks pretty cool.

So it sounds like it's not uncommon to have a lifter or more clog up or refuse to pump up without there being anything wrong with the oil pump.

As I mentioned earlier, the oil pump backplate screws were loctited at the last T-belt change (160k). I realize that that isn't a guarantee that they didn't back out again, but it is less likely. Does a loose backplate (or slop in the gears as Qman suggested) cause poor oil pressure, IE could I check that with a gauge? One of the pdf's OB99W posted mentions that a bad oil pump may show pressure within spec but still not move the volume necessary. Is there any way for an over worked underpaid machinist to check that without pulling the pump?

Sub360, good suggestion on the JY rocker assembly, I didn't think of that. Any idea what range of years are compatible?

Thanks!

Will-

Edited by lostinthe202
add a question

So it sounds like it's not uncommon to have a lifter or more clog up or refuse to pump up without there being anything wrong with the oil pump.

As I mentioned earlier, the oil pump backplate screws were loctited at the last T-belt change (160k). I realize that that isn't a guarantee that they didn't back out again, but it is less likely.[...]

I didn't mean to imply that insufficient oil delivery was the only possible cause of HLAs not pumping up. Since you secured the back plate screws previously, they may well still be tight. If the screws and plate are loose, there's often leakage at the front crank seal -- if you're not seeing that, it's more likely that the screws are still tight.

Some general info on the 2.2, including HLAs: http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/2.2Liter.pdf