Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Got the Touring Wagon!!! Pics pg.4

Looked at a Subaru the other day. Here's the low-down.

It's a 1989 5spd d/r TOURING wagon. Been wanting one of those for a while.

The Good:

165,000 miles and ran well. Shifted nicely, clutch pedal seemed a little sticky but grabbed good. Red paint is in good shape. Interior really only needs cleaned a little. No Rust whatsoever on undercarriage visible. Engine bay VERY clean.

The Bad:

Needs master cylinder. Some clunking from the rear, don't know what it is. Surface rust on both rear quarters, wasn't bad though. Some rust on the front fenders. Only driver side window works, the others either don't move or get stuck. Contacts need cleaned? Cracked windshield, but not bad.

Theyr'e asking $1595. DEFINITELY not willing to pay that much. Was bought off a guy who had it since 2000 and used it as his "farm car". So here's my question. What do you guys think it's worth? Don't see many touring wagons around here and I've always wanted one. Would be perfect for camping which I do often.

I'm with GD on the price...... $1,000 tops, due to the issues you posted.

A cracked windshield needs to be replaced, regardless of size of crack.

Sporatic power windows could be electrical, could be mechanical.

Rust is rust. It involves time/money to repair it.

Then you have the unknown noise in the back......

I agree -- $1000. It sounds pretty un-rusty for an eastern car. Master cylinder is easy to fix. What's the clunk??? u-joint? rear brakes? I don't know what the regulations are on windshields are there. Here, cracks all over are considered pretty normal, but some states have inspections of such things. Clutch cable may need replacing if it feels sticky. The windows probably need the tracks cleaned inside -- electrically they usually still try, but don't have enough power left to actually move the window... though, on my '89 wagon, one would only go up from the driver's console, and one would only go up from the local control. All the rest worked okay...

Z

The main difference is that a touring wagon has a raised roof in the back and are pretty rare.

They aren't that rare - I've seen at least a dozen in the last few years. Not counting any from the board. It does up the price a bit though - more desireable IMO. Of all the EA82 bodies - the TW and the RX are the most desireable.

GD

They aren't that rare - I've seen at least a dozen in the last few years. Not counting any from the board. It does up the price a bit though - more desireable IMO. Of all the EA82 bodies - the TW and the RX are the most desireable.

GD

Rick, don't you mean they are sort of rare? You have only seen a dozen in the last few years? I mean, you see an average of 5 wagons a day or more and you only have seen a dozen in 2-3 years. It's all in the perspective... half full or half empty... lol!

Rick, don't you mean they are sort of rare? You have only seen a dozen in the last few years? I mean, you see an average of 5 wagons a day or more and you only have seen a dozen in 2-3 years. It's all in the perspective... half full or half empty... lol!

Yeah - I'll agree with that. I see more TW's than I do RX's.... but compared to EA82's as a whole they are about as rare as turbo legacy's but less common now due to being older.

You don't see a lot of them that's for sure.

GD

GD

In our neck of the woods, they are rare.

In our neck of the woods, they are rare.

Yeah they are kinda rare. I've only ever seen 4 around here. 2 here in town (which I haven't seen again), one in Knoxville, and the one I'm currently thinking about buying.

If it's still there next weekend, I'm probably gonna offer $1000. If they don't take it I may push for $1100 but that's the ABSOLUTE highest I will go.

If I do get it, I've got some 15" pugs, rear disc setup, and complete rear-end with swaybar on standby.

Didn't quite get it home but I got it. Made the first 30 miles of the trip fine but started getting warm and the problem progressively got worse. Couldn't even cover a mile without it getting 3/4 of the way up the gauge. Never let it get to the red though. It's about 30 miles away from the house but I'm gonna get a friend to pull it within 15 miles and probably have it towed. I'm pretty sure it just needs a radiator. Gonna do the thermostat too anyway.

Interior's in fair shape, drove nicely too. All in all I'm really glad I bought it.:banana:

Dude that sucks that it is getting warm on you. I know you, you can have that issue fixed in no time. I hope they were friendly to you there.

Yeah they were really friendly. I don't think they were aware of the warming issue because it didn't do it for some time but then just got worse and worse leading me to believe there's just a bunch of gunk trapped in the rad or maybe even the heater core. I'm having a friend pull it to his house and we're going to do the radiator and flush the heater core. Should be good to go then.

I was somewhat expecting it to start getting a little warm being that it didn't see much highway driving, but I didn't think it would be that bad. But hey, it's a d/r touring wagon. How could I complain?:lol:

Calling Subaru for a thermostat today and going to look for a rad. Should be ready to go by the end of the week, it'll be a few days before I get a rad.

As far as the radiator, I did get a cheap one off Ebay for an emergency fix, and have been happy with it. It's the single row with plastic tanks, and even in high 80s/low 90s with the a/c on, it didn't overheat or even get beyond the 1/3 mark on the gauge running an EA82T and auto.

You should be even better with that same unit, it does have a lifetime warranty too.

I actually found the one from my '89 sedan and put it in today and burped the system, now I just need a ride there so I can bring it home.

The interior is mediocre. Nothing really spectacular about it. But the engine bay on the other hand, that's clean as a whistle.

Also realized while I was under there the driver side head gasket is leaking oil externally but saw none in the coolant. Should I be worried about that? Does smoke alot...

I actually found the one from my '89 sedan and put it in today and burped the system, now I just need a ride there so I can bring it home.

The interior is mediocre. Nothing really spectacular about it. But the engine bay on the other hand, that's clean as a whistle.

Also realized while I was under there the driver side head gasket is leaking oil externally but saw none in the coolant. Should I be worried about that? Does smoke alot...

does it smoke white?

as for a clean engine compartment, this came from a dealer didnt it? i am guessing it got pressure washed

No the smoke is definitely burning oil. Bad news though...

Drove beautifully on the trip home but I was driving it a few hours ago keeping an eye on the temp...

Finally I relaxe and about 10 mins later I hear a crackling under the hood (predetination I think). I look at the temp gauge... JUST below the red. Pretty much touching it. So I immediately shut the car off and pull over. Still sitting in a parking lot.

I'm thinking it's the thermostat, I'm going to go back tomrrow and remove it and see what happens. I need to put the damn steering wheel back where it's supposed to go, can't see the temp gauge with the wheel upside down (wonder if that's why it's upside down lol).

So my question is. How long do my headgaskets have? Worse comes to worse, I'll ditch the EA82 and go EA81 (will eventually be lifted anywayz, and if I go EA81 it's getting a snorkel).