Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am looking to pick up a 92 legacy engine to swap into an older subaru.

A local junkyard has one with 170K showing on the clock, 140 PSI compression, and 70 PSI oil pressure.For 200 bucks.The problem is they wont warrienty it. Would that engine be a good engine for a long time or will it fail in short order?

A couple days ago I called them they said they had a couple for 250 with a 6 month warrenty. So I go and grab a wiring harness and computer to start the swap and now they dont want to warrenty the motor.

The engine mentioned early would that be a good engine with maybe a tune up and some seafoam or something to get rid of the carbon?

Ah ok 140psi is not bad for a '92 engine. I was thinking of later engines for the 180psi.

Here's some info from the '94 manual for compression:

When checking compression pressures, ensure engine is at normal operating temperature and battery is completely charged. Remove all spark plugs and open throttle fully. Remove ignition coil harness, then install a suitable compression gauge. Crank engine and note compression gauge reading when gauge pointer is steady. Perform at least two measurements per cylinder to ensure compression readings are correct. The maximum compression difference between cylinders is 14 psi. Compression pressures should be 135-156 psi at 300 RPM.

Trying to say how long it would last is not easy, I mean you don't know the maintenance history of the engine and it is now probably at least 18 years old. At 170k the water pump is probably pretty tired and it might have many oil leaks and things timing belt/ etc that should be addressed before installing to give a good life.

Edited by porcupine73
add

The compression for the engine has 135-140 PSI for the left bank and 140-164 for the right bank.The engine has 70 PSI of oil pressure when warmed up.The engine isnt warrentied because it fails the leakdown test. It looses 25-50 PSI of pressure...

I am thinking the valves are a bit carboned up