Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 2.2L black smoke at 6K rpm and oil consumption

yup subarina is giving me hell again..

this happens when i am driving and i need rto pass someone so when i punch the gas i see puffs of black smoke out of the exhaust.. Now today i revd it up to 6K while parked and it does the same thing it puffs black smoke, not blue, but black... i changed the plugs, egr, new OEM pcv, she consumed about a 1/4 of oil in 600 miles, i never had a 2.2L that consumed oil like this one..

mind you that this is the 2nd motor on this car and i got the motor with 74k and now has 103k

Blu has started doing this only from below 15 mph full throttle take off to 60ish.

i just keep an eye on the oil level. Blu only has 50K on his engine and may get new plugs. As annoying as it is I don't really worry about it. It can just be worn fuel injector nozzles not allowing for proper atomization of fuel at full throttle and full load.

If you need to add more then 1 qt every 3k miles, i wouldnt sweat it.

Don't rev an engine to 6k while parked, your looking for trouble.

[...]consumed about a 1/4 of oil in 600 miles[...]

Could you clarify the oil consumption? Does ''1/4 of oil'' mean ''1/4 of a quart of oil'', ''one quart of oil'', or ''1/4 of the engine's oil capacity''? The first would be equivalent to one quart in 2400 miles, which wouldn't be terrible. Either of the other two would be significant oil consumption.

I have followed this car and until he replaced the PCV and EGR it did blow oil smoke...just puff it out whenever the car would be shifting or when he would let off the gas. It never poured out.

A little more history of the motor. it sat for about 2 years before he put it in the car last year.

We discussed for a little today about picking up another EJ22 later this summer and putting another in the car. EJ22s are something we dont have any trouble at all finding cheap around here.

But correct me if I am wrong...black smoke is carbon right? I want to follow the car for a ways this weekend and see if its still puffing.

I have followed this car and until he replaced the PCV and EGR it did blow oil smoke...just puff it out whenever the car would be shifting or when he would let off the gas. It never poured out.

Still, requiring a quart of oil per 600 miles is significant. However, in addition to any that's burned, a small leak could account for part of that. As has already been mentioned, burned oil typically produces bluish smoke.

But correct me if I am wrong...black smoke is carbon right? I want to follow the car for a ways this weekend and see if its still puffing.

A well running engine burns (''oxidizes'') the vast majority of the fuel. Properly oxidized carbon becomes carbon dioxide, while somewhat insufficient oxidation results in carbon monoxide. Really insufficient oxidation produces soot (mainly small carbon particles). So yes, black smoke is usually carbon, and indicates incomplete combustion. It's sometimes hard to tell from the color exactly what the source is -- black-ish smoke could be from a combination of incompletely burned fuel and oil.