Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A few months ago I bought some OEM air filters for my 96 OB (pictured on the left, color orange---P/N 16546AA020F)

Notice the white one on the right 16546AA080.....less pleats but much thicker and "fuzzier" (for a lack of a better word)---same exact size.

This white one resembles the type of paper from my daughters 2006 accord (OEM filter)

Can anyone research why the two different types?

Are both still available?

Why have both?

I think the white one would be superior...able to catch finer particles...thoughts?

post-743-136027633424_thumb.jpg

A few months ago I bought some OEM air filters for my 96 OB (pictured on the left, color orange---P/N 16546AA020F)

Notice the white one on the right 16546AA080.....less pleats but much thicker and "fuzzier" (for a lack of a better word)---same exact size.

This white one resembles the type of paper from my daughters 2006 accord (OEM filter)

Can anyone research why the two different types?

Are both still available?

Why have both?

I think the white one would be superior...able to catch finer particles...thoughts?

Either one could be the one that filters down to a smaller size, the fuzz wouldn't really make a difference to that.

The fuzzy one might clog less for a given amount of filtered crud, though.

Dave

Subaru has 3 "shapes" that are available in multiple part #s.

16546AA10A & 16546AA090 - These two are (nearly) identical to each other. 16546AA12A is the same style as well. All are square

16546AA080 & 16546AA020 are the short rectangle shape but the 080 is much more expensive (with better filtration)

Then you have the long rectangular style that is only available in the 16546AA07A

They all have different "flow" charachteristics... I think Subaru is "overengineering" their filters :rolleyes:

It could also be parts supercession, i.e. the 80 one superceding the earlier type. Subaru like others probably switches parts vendors over the years. So then if you order multiples you might get some new old stock and some of the new style depending on what the dealer has on hand or orders.