Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My RX is dead. crappy pics inside (lots of fire)

Well, my RX is officially dead for good. The motor exploded today on my way to Ellensburg in a fantastic ball of fire. It took 15 minutes for the fire truck to get there because I was in the middle of bum************ nowhere on I-82. Luckily I was able to save almost everything that was loose in the cabin and I myself was not injusred, but the car is finished. I will have pics of the aftermath in the morning, but for now, the firery death of an RX.

06-04-09_2054.jpg

06-04-09_2056.jpg

06-04-09_2058.jpg

I got further and further away as the flames grew nearer to the gas tank as I had JUST FILLED THE TANK with 92 octane gas. It never blew up, so the gas is still salvageable, along with the whole rear sub assembly, and the rear tires even. The rest of the car is a loss, the trans might be ok, but the FT4wd solenoids are toast. I will know more when i go to tow it home in the morning.

God this sucks. I really loved that car, and I had big plans for it. But this is why I have so many cars, if one goes down, I still have a spare.

-Bill

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad you're okay and could salvage what you could, but my word does that suck to see. Pretty devastating to even read about. :(

Oh, and ************ the EA82T.

-Bill

+ 1 trillion

How to do you feel about XTs?

Well, coming up the hill it started knocking, like real bad rod knock, then boom, it exploded, and I saw white smoke, so i opened the hood thinking it was just a blown turbo, but the motor was on fire. I think it threw a rod and somehow something on that motor ignited. All my guages read normal immediately prior to this, temp normal, oil PSI normal, volts normal, yeah. I just changed the oil last weekend. Whatever first caught on fire quickly proceded to burn into the fuel lines, and thats when all hell broke loose.

Toll so far:

$180 Optima Red Top

*$230 stereo

20 bucks worth of free oil change

all my pride

and all my dreams for the car.

-Bill

I'm glad you're okay and could salvage what you could, but my word does that suck to see. Pretty devastating to even read about. :(

+ 1 trillion

How to do you feel about XTs?

If its an EA82 with a Turbo, ************ that noise. I wont ever drive a primitive self destructing beast like that ever again. I mean it was completely stock, no upped boost, no mods, stock. New headgaskets and cooling system even.

I have no love for gas turbos anymore. Deisel is one thing, but this really ruined my outlook on these motors.

-Bill

Meh just parts for another project. I know you loved that car but it can live on in the next rx you buy. Glad your ok. To bad the ground effects kit probally got melted. She will live on in the many many many many many other subarus you own.:grin:

So far what I know I can salvage:

The full tank of 92 Octane gasoline and tank itself

The rear assembly (LSD diff, rear disk brakes, pristine rear axles, swing arms, subframe, *maybe* coilovers)

the mustache bar

3.5" lift blocks from the rear

Driveshaft

glasspacks

rear wheels and tires

front drivers side wheel

The maybes:

Trans

front passenger side wheel

Flywheel

Ill update tomorrow when i get the car home and tear it down. I dont knwo yet if i will keep the parts or sell them, I may convert the LSD to 4.11 and rip off a Datsun guy on EvilBay. but IDK.

Nothing from the body is salvagable. it all melted and/or burned. the interior? Fo-Geddaboudit. Glass? Not a chance.

-Bill

Edited by The Beast I Drive

If its an EA82 with a Turbo, ************ that noise. I wont ever drive a primitive self destructing beast like that ever again. I mean it was completely stock, no upped boost, no mods, stock. New headgaskets and cooling system even.

I have no love for gas turbos anymore. Deisel is one thing, but this really ruined my outlook on these motors.

-Bill

Well, I have an 87.5 XT-T with

because it self destructed 260 miles after Turbone and I did head gaskets, full reseal and replaced pumps (thus the +1 trillion). I'm entertaining the thought of getting rid of it because it's one more major project than I can handle right now, or for the forseable future.

OMG Bill!! I am so sorry :(:(:(:( At least you are physically ok...but mentally might take awhile to heal. If you need anything let me know and I will see what I can do.

And here I had been hoping my coupe would burst into flames... :-\

OMG Bill!! I am so sorry :(:(:(:( At least you are physically ok...but mentally might take awhile to heal. If you need anything let me know and I will see what I can do.

And here I had been hoping my coupe would burst into flames... :-\

Just put a EA82T in it :rolleyes:

Jebus Bill, what rotten luck. Glad you got out ok and you were able to salvage some stuff.

Rob goes out and makes sure fire extinguisher is in RX.

Oh, and luckily (if you can say that) there wasnt enough sage brush there to start a wildfire.

Edited by Turbone

Thanks for the support guys, Im really, really bummed out about this. Obviously I cant stress enough how important it is to have a fire extinguisher in your car, If I had been keeping a small 2lb ABC extinguisher in the spare tire space I couldve saved the car, sans a little melted wiring.

Chux, I was running 92 cuz it wouldnt run worth a crap if I didnt. Expensive, but I didnt really drive it all that much, just for longer trips where my loud obnoxious Brat just wouldnt be as comfortable

Connie, I really hope this does NOT happen to your coupe, that would just be icing on top of a big crap flavored cake. (speaking of which, after all this me and my dad stopped at Burger king, where those morons proceeded to screw up my order :mad:)

Im heading out right now to go pick up the burnt carcass, ill take some pics and get the final damage assesment shortly.

-Bill

P.S. Ill probably be looking for a new coupe/RX project very soon

man.

Sorry for your loss.

I agree with the oil on the turbo.

I had my e-brake line ignite once b/c it was caked w/grease.

I was lucky enough to have the fire out before any damage, but now I have a fire extinguisher in there

ERK..... :eek: i saw a minivan (one of the plastic bodied ones) completely incinerated along the side of the road near Vantage on I-90 once.

I'm buying fire extinguishers for all my cars today (they're all old, and most have sketchy wiring for at least something)

Liability and bodily injury insurance. The car itself is not covered. Honestly who would have thought I would need full coverage on a 21 year old car?

so basically, Ive lost a little over a thousand dollars in this ride, I paid 400 for it in Port Orchard, put in the stereo, replaced the motor with one I already had, and spent countless hours fabricating the exhaust, the rear lift, maintainence, just bought brand new tires for it (about 300 bucks, but 2 of them are still good and I had to good spares) the wheels with hubcaps are still good, but its just so, demoralizing. It sucks. I really did like that car, and I had big plans for it with the wheels already set in motion. Now I have nothing to put my shiny new aluminum centerlines on :mad: Anybody have a cheap EA82 coupe or RX they want to part with?

-Bill