Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My RX is dead. crappy pics inside (lots of fire)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rims are all ok, passenger front is a little discolored, and the rear tires are ok. Looks like the fuel pump fried in the fire, and I decided it was just easier to punch a hole in the tank and drain it than try to remove it with 14 gallons of liquid still in it.

The firemen got the blaze extinguished just in time, had they been 5 minutes later the tank would have exploded, the gas cap was beginning to melt as they put out the flames. It prolly would have been a spectacular explosion though...

I hope this never happens to anyone else on here, its really really hard to sit there and watch as your pride and joy dies while you wait for help to arrive, unable to do anything. The helpless feeling is the worst. Im definitely going to be investing in some extinguishers for my other rides.

-Bill

I guess if i look at the upside of this, I came up with some body modifications i would like to try out on my next coupe project, seeing as how I can clearly see all the joints and structure since the paint is gone... The car is still an inspiration even after its soul has passed from this world.

-Bill

Ah yes, I remember reading the thread about that one. That was the first thing I thought about when mine lit up. Mine wasnt an electrical fire though, it was massive mechanical failure of some kind, Ill have to investigate, but it looks like the Turbo might have blown on the compressor side. I think you had it worse, you lost a Brat, Id be devastated if any of my Brats burned like that

-Bill

oi note to self, get a fire extinguisher

i am supprised at the ammount of metal used in the car though.

i also wouldnt use the front wheels, who know what the heat did to them and then having the firefighters come along and hose em down with cold water

Anybody have a cheap EA82 coupe or RX they want to part with?

-Bill

There's two white RX's parked next to a house a block or two away from my house -- haven't seen them move for about 3 years so I suspect they don't run.... If you can't find anything closer than CO, I can ask.

Thank god it wasn't you in there melting off the seats! At least its just a thing. I saw a coupe on cl seattle a week ago.

An old buddys ride went up when a fuel line popped off the pump. He was sleeping in it and turned it on to warm up. A local bum woke him out of his doze and saved his life. He was in the middle of moving and had his whole life in the trunk and back seat....gone.

Dont get a audi, get a fire extiguisher!

Well, that's one way to get easy access to the heater core!

Glad you got out man.

I met a guy once that had some of those old silver water filled fire extinguishers like the ones that they used to have in schools. He would fill them with 50/50 water and antifreeze for all weather use. Not good for oil or electrical but cheap.

That totally sucks...

I had an FC RX-7 once, they're known for turning into firebals. And mine was trying to become another one. I started smelling gas one day while driving and knew to immediately pull it over. Sure enough, the FPD had sprung a fuel leak. On those things,the FPD is mounted DIRECTLY over the exhaust manifold... so if you think an EA82T is a dangerous motor, try a 13B!

There was a pretty nice, clean looking GL 3-door coupe at a used car dealer near me (5SP D/R EA82 non-turbo) recently. Of course, since it's at a dealership, "cheap" woudln't be the word I'd use to describe it. But depending on negotiating skills...

Psyko - I LOVED my two 87.5 XT's! Of course, both were N/A FWD's. It's a cool little car to play around with.. just yank the EA82T and go another route :) (Oh, and my 88 XT6 5SP wasn't too shabby either once the flatlined air suspension was replaced!)

Well, it sounds like there are some options for RX/3 doors. I hope you can get into another one soon!

Psyko - I LOVED my two 87.5 XT's! Of course, both were N/A FWD's. It's a cool little car to play around with.. just yank the EA82T and go another route :) (Oh, and my 88 XT6 5SP wasn't too shabby either once the flatlined air suspension was replaced!)

Mine was a AWD auto with no air. I loved it too and planed on doing an STi swap some day. Now I'm just going to chop it up and use parts for my Brat and XT6 though. Won't be worth enough to anybody to make selling it whole worth my time. :(

• 2 months later...

Thought I would update this, I pulled almost all the usable parts off my RX, all thats left is the radius rods and plates, and the drivers side control arm. I saved the tranny, clutch disc, flywheel, driveshaft, entire rear sub assembly, rear lift blocks, and front hubs. Here is whats left

09-02-09_1914.jpg

This is probably the final stage of my RX. After this, it will be scrapped (if anyone will take it) or burried...

-Bill