Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Car runs like Poo after muddin

The running aspect is ok i guess it seems to be idleing higher now. But every time i push in the clutch it seems to be sticky. I believe i have washed really good on the top of it to see if theres some mud around there but it was alittle dark so i cant be sure. Could something of gotten binded up at all. I can still shift its more a Nuisance then anything.

Ben

Your clutch cable is about to snap. The seal on the cable sheath has been comprimised and the cable had probably been invaded by water and who-know's what else. It will wear through the sheath, bind, and snap the cable. Replacing the cable is your only option. And make sure the end on the transmission side is well lubricated with vasoline to keep the water and mud out of the cable.

As far as the running of the engine - what do you have? Carb or SPFI?

GD

Yea weve talked about the cts sensor. Didnt you say you would check for a good one. Anyones ill give her a check. Ive got some electronic cleaner so ill check out maf just in case.

Nice pictue made me laugh.

Yes - I am still looking. I'll for sure grab you one when I'm at the yard this weekend.

GD

Ok GD some oldschool car guy at work told me to spray some wd40 or pbblast into the clutch cable sleeve to free up the grit. I was aprehensive but he told me he would buy me a new cable if it didnt work. And it did. My question to you and the board is this just a tempory fix and it will snap anyways from what might still be in it. Or could this of cured my problem. He told me to keep doing that every once a while for a couple of days to make sure the stuff all got out.

The cables are dry-lubricated with a soap-like compound inside the sheath as well as an inner plastic core. What happens when the cable loses lubrication is it starts to eat into that plastic tubing and eventually it will eat it's way through to the steel braiding in the cable sheath. At some point it will eat through enough of the cable and will snap. WD-40 is only a temporary lubricant - it will evaporate away. You could try some moly fortified lubricant spray - like the stuff used on bike chains. But ultimately it's not worth the time for a cable that cost's less than $20 from the dealer and takes about a half hour to install.

GD

• 2 years later...
The cables are dry-lubricated with a soap-like compound inside the sheath as well as an inner plastic core. What happens when the cable loses lubrication is it starts to eat into that plastic tubing and eventually it will eat it's way through to the steel braiding in the cable sheath. At some point it will eat through enough of the cable and will snap. WD-40 is only a temporary lubricant - it will evaporate away. You could try some moly fortified lubricant spray - like the stuff used on bike chains. But ultimately it's not worth the time for a cable that cost's less than $20 from the dealer and takes about a half hour to install.

GD

first time replacing the clutch cable in my brat cuz it snapped toke about 15 mins the hardest part was getting on the clutch pedal:D