Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Having a problem with a High idle problem in my 2000 OB Manual.

Idles high at about 900 - 1000 rpms. took it to the shop. Air/Fuel sensor was not responding at all so mechanic changed that sensor. Was good for about 2

weeks. second time around I tried unplugging the battery hoping it would possibly reset the computer. Seemed to help temporarily. Now it's in and out. Will drive fine for a while then go into high idle. fluctuates up and down a little. 2 weeks ago it happened right after the local temperatures heated up. second time happened after temperatures cooled down (coincidence?).

Originally after I bought this vehicle it was jolting as I was driving. It would actually deaccelerate. When I pushed the throttle, it would take quite abit of pressure to get it going again. The dealership replaced throttle position sensor and the neutral switch when I orginally had the problem after purchasing vehicle. The neutral switch fixed it for about a year until the winter set in again, which is when I purchased the vehicle. The only thing that was done last winte was resetting the computer, which fixed it until 2 weeks ago. The recent problem started with these symptoms, but not as extreme.

Please Help!!! REALLY TIRED OF THIS PROBLEM.

Thank You

hm high idling ideas....vacuum leaks, misadjusted throttle and/or cruise control cables (so throttle doesn't close all the way),

You mentioned neutral switch, I was thinking about that one, it may need to be checked for adjustment. If the MT is in neutral but the ecu thinks it is in gear it can cause weird things to happen. There were some notes with that switch on the MT soobs of that era.