Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Electrical drain

When we go into the studio to record vocals, we call it the "humilitron". This is the same thing when it comes to my electrical knowledge.

I am having a battery drain overnight in a vehicle. It doesnt seem to be the obvious. I read here a bit and tested the milliamps between the NEG on the battery and NEG cable, while disconnected. I get 8 MA. Is that enough to drain a good battery over night? Is that enough that it should be a concern for me? I am not even sure if there should be any.

I pulled all the fuses, one at a time...nothing there to make a change. I unplugged the alternator as well...no change. Can someone give me ideas? Its not a Soob but it shouldnt make a difference. Plus, I trust you people here more than anyone else. :)

Brand new, not the culprit. Let me backup. I attacked the engine with a pressure washer the other day. Thats when the problem began.

Spray everything you can find down with WD-40, put a big fan on the engine bay and wait. Something is wet. It will dry and all will be right. Sometimes we have to wait several days for open-frame electric motors to dry out after pressure washing at work. Airflow is your friend. It will take weeks to dry out if you don't get a fan on it.

GD

8 milliamps is well within normal.Not enough draw to drain a battery overnight.80ma would be too much.

Likely the drain is intermittent and you happened to measure when everything is OK.

I once had a door lock circuit w/a different draw everytime the locks were operated.Often no draw.Made it fun to pinpoint.

Like Naru stated, you are well within the limits of normal draw. I think most cars today draw around 25 to 35 milliamps of current to keep things running.

I suggest you purchase a battery post cleaning brush from a auto store and clean your battery connections. Instead of having a excessive current draw you may not be getting a full charge to the battery. Check the voltage getting to the battery while the engine is running around 2,000 RPM. You should have between 13.5 and 14.8 DC volts there.

The problem may be futher down the line also. There is a main power panel under the hood so inspect that also.

Edited by Cougar

I suggest you purchase a battery post cleaning brush from a auto store and clean your battery connections. Instead of having a excessive current draw you may not be getting a full charge to the battery. Check the voltage getting to the battery while the engine is running around 2,000 RPM. You should have between 13.5 and 14.8 DC volts there.

The problem may be futher down the line also. There is a main power panel under the hood so inspect that also.

Battery and connectors are new, there is nothing to clean. There was something going on with the plug on the alt. Maybe that had something to do with it.