Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Should I buy it?

That's not an '83.

'85 or newer by the looks of it. Probably '85 given the grill style.

Carbed EA82 2WD 5 speed?..... Maybe worth it for the low mileage engine. Probably $100. No other redeeming qualities.

GD

Wow GD, even I can see that that is an EA81.

They went to the solid lens design for the EA82 and on, but the EA81's had

the sealed beam.

Not to mention that looks a lot like my BRAT's honeycomb grille...

I would say you're in the right ballpark at $300, but I would offer $200 and

work your way up.

Twitch

Twitch ..you are wrong...thats an EA82 sedan. not an EA81 ..GD is right. DL model EA82s had the dual sealed beam headlights...and also early ones had a honeycomb grill. Its most likely an 85 for sure.

I would say $300 is good depending on your area and the number of Subarus around.

Wow GD, even I can see that that is an EA81.

Someday you'll learn to spot them down to the model year and trim level from a tiny picture or even just a small peice of one.

Of trim levels there are many - we call them "GL's" to differentiate them from the Loyale's and the Legacy's, etc. They came in many actual trim levels - GL, DL, STD, GL-5, GL-10, DL-5, GLF, GFT, etc, etc.

Trim levels from 1970 to 1989 differ a great deal but everything from the early 70's to 89 is refered to as a "GL" or a "1600/1800" (or 1400 for the real old stuff). You just have to know when certain body styles came and went and which body type that applies to in what year. Encyclopedic knowledge like that doesn't come overnight though I'm afraid.

GD

hmm thats werid, theres a ea82 wason with single solid head lights and a honey comb grill in the junk yard

That would be an '85 GL then. Nothing weird about it at all. Pictured in the original post is an '85 DL. Only difference is the headlights - grills are the same for a given model year / body style - except for certain years of the RX's where they had body colored grills as part of the overall "sport" ground effect package.

GD

picture.php?albumid=138&pictureid=1145

So i guess mine is an ea81 as well, even thought it was made in 88

Sorry twitch my friend but you are wrong. That is the trim package DL. Made from 85-89. The only new gen wagons to come with the 4 lights instead of the 2 solid ones. They didnt come with tachs either.

Thank you for cerrecting me, I hate it when I'm wrong, but I'd rather eat

some humble pie than misguide anyone.

And I must say, I much prefer the Quad's myself.

They're easier to aim :)

Twitch

grills are the same for a given model year / body style - except for certain years of the RX's where they had body colored grills as part of the overall "sport" ground effect package.

GD

The GL-10 and other turbo models got the painted slat grille like the Loyale as well.

Low mileage EA82 engine with 5 speed 2wd -- should get good mileage (30+ ?), and be a good car. Not so much what most of buy old subaru's for -- hauling junk and 4wd. But if the other alternative is an old honda or toyota or nissan sedan, I'd take this instead (because then I already know how to work on it, instead of learning some other car....). Price is a little high for some areas, but decent.