Ultimate Subaru Message Board

really bad news-TB came off during warmup

If you look through the archives you'll see that cam shaft seizure is a problem with 2.5 L DOHC engines. The oil passages to the cams are very narrow. Usually the failure occurs after engine work. The culprit? Almost always a piece of silicone sealant. Be very wary of slicone sealant ''squeeze out" when sealing any parts on this engine. Even a very tiny of stray silicone sealanr can cause cam failure.

I thnk that the early 2.5L SOHC engines had narrow cam oil passages as well.

I see this sometimes. A chunk of silicone in the oil passage to the head right at the headgasket. Usually it breaks off from excess silicone on the oil pump. Cam seizes, pulley shatters.

I have a single head I can sell really cheap since it's not part of a pair and is kind of useless to me. I'll try to remember to look and see which one I have.

I see this sometimes. A chunk of silicone in the oil passage to the head right at the headgasket. Usually it breaks off from excess silicone on the oil pump. Cam seizes, pulley shatters.

I have a single head I can sell really cheap since it's not part of a pair and is kind of useless to me. I'll try to remember to look and see which one I have.

I greatly appreciate it. I worked a deal with MJDJD. Hopefully, I will find the answer. At this point I hope it is a clog so I can close the issue.