Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My poor brat needs a new clutch.... Yipes!

Ok so i'm new to the forums here, but i've got a sweet '87 brat that i love dearly.

However it turns out that it needs a new clutch. I'm generally mechanically proficient, but haven't turned that towards cars much. The estimate i got for a new clutch would be 600-700 dollars.

I must say i'm tempted to do the work myself. Is that a hard repair to do? Or should i just fork over the cash?! Also my mechanic mentioned that if the clutch needed to be "Resurfaced" it would be more towards the 700 dollars, than the 6. What does that mean, and how would i know if i had to get that done?

Thanks everyone!

the labor rates must be really high there..........

and your question on resurfacing.....if he is resurfacing the "clutch" as you state, he is a moron. Its the flywheel that is the part that would get resurfaced, when you install a new clutch disc. Also, this is a good time to find and fix any oil leaks you have. I would ask around for better rates and ask for other CA members here who might want to help out and earn some buck.

Edited by bheinen74

Clutches arent that bad to do yourself...I have actually gotten pretty good at it with my 83 coupe. YOu will have to remove the flywheel and have that resurfaced..can cost anywhere from $50-$100 depending on where you go. Make sure the person resurfacing is done by someone who knows Subarus..I have had one resurfaced wrong before.

The work can be done without removing the motor. Just get a manual and remember to torque everything back to spec.

Clutches arent that bad to do yourself...I have actually gotten pretty good at it with my 83 coupe. YOu will have to remove the flywheel and have that resurfaced..can cost anywhere from $50-$100 depending on where you go.
Wow, glad I don't live back east any more. Last time I had a flywheel turned it was $25 plus tax....professional machine shop that did all kinds of automotive work (across from the old Everett PAP location).