Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i want a UTE (MORE PICS LOOKIE )

so here is what it might look like with a flat back window and back wall stack bull bars the whole bit oh and train horns :) just tossing it around in my head.

no photoshop but paintshop skills are proving well :)

2.jpg

i like it

i been drawing heres what my mind came up with

Picture001.jpg

hhh.jpg

Picture.jpg

Edited by subaruguru

I like the way you think... This time :grin:

Gonna start with a wagon again or a coupe? We could chop up the remains of the RX to get an idea of what you want...

-Bill

I think the coupe will work better, no back door issues :lol:

I figured someone would want to get my parts Brat to weld onto their car.

oh if i do it im doing it to the coupe :) no welding extra doors shut,rear is already boxed in,way les metle to remove and the bigger doors ads to the comfort factor it would be just like a real UTE :) but cutting your RX corps would help

Right on, I have no problem cutting that RX up, hell I could paint it up and make yard art outta it :banana:

-Bill

haha hell yeah i figure there wouldent be much to do after mesuring it a jillion times cut then weld a back wall in maby some 1/8th inch sheet metel leave it solid untell i get a gaskit for the glass i have the side windows would be cheap (flat glass usualy is) :) oh yeah wow i have to much time to think.

OK, I've fantasized extensively about this. Get like a ''87 wagon, and the same year brat wrecked with a good roof, preferably with t tops. Cut the roof off the brat just as close to the t tops as possible and at the bottom of the rear quarters. Cut the roof off the wagon right about where the post between the front and rear windows, including the whole back end of the car to strait up from the top of the rear wheel wells. Graft the brat roof on at that spot thus creating t tops over the rear seats and graft the bottoms of the quarters on wear ever they come together probably losing the back doors but leaving a window.. Take a Toyota truck bed(I like the '77 with the old school latches on the tailgate) and cut it vertical at the wheel well strait across the bed. Also cut off the front corners of the truck bed and weld them on to the now stubby bed. Just enough of the corners to make the transition to the subaru body from the toyota at the top of the rear wheel well. You have to make the brat roof fit so that the back glass fits good with the back seats of the wagon or make a removable panel or just leave it open and war wagon the thing. The brat roof gives the roof a place to end in the back with trim. The front of the now bobbed truck bed should go right up to the rear bottom of the rear seats so that when you put the seats down there would be almost a full truck bed. Put some diamond plate on the back of the rear seats for those gravel loads. Weld it all together good to preserve the structure.

Picture001.jpg

hhh.jpg

I say its a tossup between these two.

I think the XT6 ute would be the most unique, plus the 5 lug bolt pattern

will allot for bigger wheels and tires.

The Imp would be cool and require the least amount of mechanical

customizing, but the amount of body work to make it look right would be

a pain.

Twitch

The problem being that wherever you cut the roof has to be trimmed out some kind of way. Easy to cut, hard to make look decent. Plus, How do you make a tailgate? And, the structure of the unibody must be preserved. If the work is too much, having no real plan is way more work you can bet.

I just really like the idea of having t tops over the back seats.

I'm kinda hoping that somebody who can photoshop can put the pieces together.

With me and Robbie doin the work, the structural integrity of the body will be retained. We went over a few ideas while I picked up some parts from him the other day, and there wont be a tailgate per say, too much work and he wont really need it anyway. The plan is so far to start with a Gen 3 coupe, which will also be the easiest to modify to make this work. The C-pillars are going to get moved forward and modified to be straighter, and the Hatch will be cut out below the glass and used to make the bed sides and the lip over the tail lights. We talked about what to do with the back wall/C-pillars, he wants them straight vertical with quarter windows, but I am more partial to the Brat look, so that brought to mind the '80s El-Caminos, which have the little quarter windows, vertical back wall, and angled C-pillars. Nothing is set in stone yet, just tossing around Ideas. He needs to find a donor car to cut up, he dont want to do it to his daily driver... Prolly gonna use whats left of my RX to try out some styling ideas as far as the C-pillars and quarter windows go...

-Bill