Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Transmission squeal/squeak 1999 Legacy Wagon 2.2 ATX

Hey,

Glad I found this site. I bought a 99 Legacy wagon a couple months ago - it only had 62k on it and it seemed like a nice buy for the money.

I have noticed the transmission has a quick squeak/squeal going from first to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd, if under high acceleration. Meaning, if I am just cruising around the neighborhood at a low speed, don't really hear it. But if I push it from stop, going to 2nd or into the 3rd, I'll hear that burst of a squeak RIGHT when it shifts.

Now, I must say - this is my first subaru AND it's also my first 4 cylinder. The car has always seemed "strange" on the shifting - it's just not smooth at all. But, again I will add, I am used to bigger engine 6 cylinders and the whole car just feels strange to me when driving (I bought this for my wife).

I just replaced the Timing and drive belts and water pump. I looked through online and some people have said it could be a belt, but those are brand new. Guess it could still be that.

Is this a normal situation? Does anyone have any clues? I see there are issues with tranny's on these cars. I basically want to get an idea of what to do, cause I dumped $1k into the car for front brakes, timing belt and other belts and water pump - and if I am going to have to replace/rebuild a tranny, I'd rather just go find another car, and trade this in and add $2k to something that is better than this. I don't know if it's just THIS particular car, but I am not a huge fan right now. Nothing sounds solid on this car - but again, it may be a situation of me not being used to a 4 cyl go cart.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated - this site has been awesome so far!

if it is your trans it's the first time i have ever heard of this. but that doesn't mean much i learn new things all the time.

i bet it's the power steering / alt belt. mine squealed at start up after the timing belt change.

you may be able to get it to do it with a very hard turn from a dead stop.

in theory you could remove the belt and take the car for a drive and the sound would be gone, but that would be very dangerous since you would have no power steering.

try tightening the belt a little. how much flex is in the belt now.?

Thanks for the reply!

I actually have noticed that it now squeaks occasionally, but before the car shifts. Before it seemed always at the exact time of a shift.

I am not even close to having the mechanic knowledge to know how to tighten the belt, or how much play it should have. I can certainly take it back to my mechanic, who's always been good at fixing anything that is due to a repair they did.

I guess I thought it was the tranny cause it seems to shift hard - but maybe that's just how that car shifts (and me not used to the 4cyl engine go cart).