Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 differences

right, so im looking at an engine rebuild kit for sale, and i noticed that is says EA81 for years 1983-1984

and

Subaru Brat and 1800 - EA81 1.8L Turbo engine. P/N 592-100.

also, does the turbo part make any difference? im assuming it doesnt

the question is then, is there a difference in EA81's from 83-84 compared to the ones after that?

cheers guys!

Different head gaskets, different intake gaskets, possibly different valve cover gaskets as well. Those were the only two years of the EA81T IIRC. After that, they just carried on the Brat and Hatch with the EA81, while the sedan and wagon could be had with the EA82T or plain EA82.

The earlier EA81 engines had solid lifters,

whereas 85' + had hydraulic lifters.

I don't know much about the EA81T, but i sure as schat wouldn't buy

a rebuild kit for one thinking it would interchange with an N/A motor.

so the head gaskets are different from the 83-84 ea81's compared to the later ones or the turbo ones?

with the turbo, i dont see why there should be any difference? ive often seen EA81/T on head gasket sets, the one i brought once says it, and it is on there now, just wondering if anyone has had any differneces with the turbo ones?

the valve and intake ones i aint worried bout, i got aftermarket heads and inlets

ive got a block with 9.7:1 compression pistons or similar that i brought, SUB4 dualport heads, a choice of 2 hot cams, and just need the bits inbewtween to build it up, will investigate things further, just putting a bit of research in before i start buying stuff!

There is no differences in the basic engine gaskets - heads, intake and exhaust, valve covers, oil pan etc will all be the same. The turbo kit might include some extra gaskets that the NA kit does not.

The rings may be different - that I don't know. The pistons are lower compression so it's possible they used different rings on them.

GD

• Like 1

well this is it, thats what confuses me, surely if the EA81 were to change, it would make it like an EA81/a EA81/b or somin surely? its really quite annoying!

i just basically want a full rebuild kit for mine (shells, rings, gaskets), which is a later N/A engine, (1993), the only one i could find was a 83-84 or that time scale, which were a full kit, i dont want to buy one from here, one from there, and end up getting like over sized wrong or somin stupid, and then the shipping delay which would probably be weeks difference for me!

also, can anyone direct me to a good rebuild kit of their choice?

• 11 years later...
4 hours ago, Wazurdad said:

I have a 1983 subaru gl with the 1.8l engine I want to trade for a subaru brat or a wagon around the same year 

Ok, but thread digging an eleven year old thread about the EA81 probably won’t help. 

Post an add in the wanted sub forum ;) 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1