Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ea82 rear wheel bearing tool?

I am needing to replace my rear wheel bearings (1985 RX) and I remember

in the past that I was told that there is a special socket needed to remove the inner piece (nut)? that holds the bearing in the trailing arm?

Ive done the fronts a few times(basic) on other Sube's,

Ive yet to do any rears, I already have the bearings/seals,and am ready to change these, when I get home.

does anyone have any pics of the stub in the trailing arm with the drive axle removed??????? or pics/info on the tool?????? or pics of the replacement?????????

Thanx.

can be done without. but IMHO, it's worth every cent, even if only used once.

FYI, it really needs to be used with an impact wrench. it's very hard to keep it straight with a breaker bar or ratchet, otherwise it slips off very easily. but with an impact....it just comes apart in a second. just awesome!

• 5 years later...

You do not absolutley need the socket.

I did mine with a punch.

I have also made a very similar Alfa Romeo Alfetta rear axle socket by buying a 3/4 drive socket of the correct diameter and grinding the face until it had pins in the right places.

Took a coule of hours,but,worked great.

Had to rattle it 3-4 minutes w/the impact.Not sure if a punch would have worked on that one.

I have had some that came apart with punch and a couple that took a 3 foot breaker to get loose. Sir tools used to make one under the part #SU 022 and I think OTC used to make one but I could not find it in a quick search. I had a buddy make one from a bad 1/2 drive socket and a couple of pieces of flat stock welded to it. It worked just as well as factory.

You can make a home made tool.

get flat metal plate as thick as the grooves,

make 2 of them to go across the slots (they line up),

weld them to another plate,

then either make a square hole in the centre to fit a breaker bar on, or weld an old socket to the plate.

This method works best when you've already punched out the stub axle (which you've got to remove to replace the bearings anyway).

I'd also suggest getting a spare "nut". Cut four neat grooves across the thread like a thread tap, and use it to clean up the threads prior to replacing the original nut.