Ultimate Subaru Message Board

to buy or not to buy

I found a '89 XT for sale on craigslist for 100 bucks. it has a broken timing belt, the doors don't match the rest of the car, they are white and the car is dark white. and the driver door panel is falling off.

I would like to get it, but I'm not really sure what I'm getting into.

I have talked to one eye on the matter, and he has advised me to pass and never own an XT due to the problems and you cant ever get parts for them. and this one is a junker and needs work, but i think that is part of the fun

I was wondering if I should go ahead and buy the car and deal with it, or should i not buy it.

No offense to you Jeff, but i still think its cool.

if anyone has 2 cents i would love to hear it

Edited by Markus56

Is it an XT .. and XT-T or and XT6? ..if its and XT-T I would say stay away. .. the XT and XT6 are OK Just OK IMO... I would never want another as a DD thats for sure. If its just the XT you will be dealing with the EA82 MPFI..XT6 ER27. XT-T EA82T. Also... is it FWD or FT-4WD? AT or MT?

It all depends on what your plans are with it. Some will argue with me, but my XT6 was one of the worst vehicles I have ever owned and I will never have another. I was lucky cause mine had been swapped to coil over susension..the air suspension if an epic fail.

The trim on all these cars ( interior) is a real problem to find and is almost always broken. Other parts can usually be found without a problem..via the subaruxt.com. Another is ...if its an XT6, its near impossible to find a radiator.. many list rads for them but they are NOT for the XT6, they are for the XT

But for a $100 you could snag it up and part it out..you could recoupe your money on the rear disk set up ,if it has them, alone.

These cars are OK and you either love them or hate them ( I actually hate them after what I went through with mine but others feel the opp )

I'd buy it for that price, but that's just me.

T-belt can be fixed. Paint mismatch can be fixed. Door panel can be fixed, and may just need new clips as they do tend to break during removal.

Most of the mechanicals are the same as any other EA-82 vehicle, there are a couple that are specific though.

Besides, if it was around this area, I would get it for the simple reason I have everything needed to turn it into an XT6.

But again,,, that's just me....

love mine

I say buy it

the non turbo engine and the multiport FI are pretty nice in my opinion

mine is down right now but it is my fault I should have had a tranny ready to go

BTW mine is a 210k mile car

that was getting me an easy 40 MPG on the highway

(but mine's a DL FWD no back seat, one mirror etc.)

if I found one here for 100 it would be mine in an hour.

oh and it's way more unique than yet another wagon.

all 88+ XT's are non-turbo, MPFI, spider intake (and 4EAT for autos). advice to stay away from the EA82T is super solid.

it's an EA82, parts are not hard to come by at all. engine, suspension, driveline, and trans parts aren't any harder than any other old gen subaru, so that's no big deal. a few parts can be a little tricky on occasion, but it's just a matter of waiting for something more than not being able to find it. were talking odd trim pieces and stuff, nothing all that important functionally. with subaruxt.com you pretty much have everything you need. we even have the FSM's publicly posted.

the EA82 can be very reliable if treated right and maintained well. anything 20+ years old..particularly cars not worth anything, like this, are going to need some maintenance to be reliable. that being said my daily driver XT6 (same engine as EA82 with two extra cylinders slapped on) at NASA, i had to be there, never let me down with a 120 mile daily commute. but, i also installed new water pump, oil pump, pulleys, radiator, every single coolant hose, plugs, PCV valve, filters, fluids, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fixed the known trouble spots (CTS connectors, alt plug)...etc.

not sure what the 4WD can get, but the FWD's can do 40mpg on the highway, or at least mine did back in the 90's. the 4WD shouldn't be too far behind. you can probably recoupe the $100 it costs in gas money just driving it a few times! a car that will pay for itself.

the xt's are nice cars. i've owned close to 30...or more. most of those have been the 6 cylinder XT6's. if you get it, you can be a part of a neat little subaru community - subaruxt.com, a site just for them. we have a nice group of folks over there, many who are dual members here.

Edited by grossgary

I dont own one but have seen a couple here. Id say for 100 bucks buy it. If it doesnt work out, part it out and sell the rest to the scrap yard. If the body is solid and the only thing mechanically wrong is the timeing belt id say go for it. Correct me if im wrong but it should have the same motor and tranny that my 88 dl wagon does. Just the mpfi instead of the spfi. For 100 bucks id say do it. The rear disc setup is worth atleast that.

it should have the same motor and tranny that my 88 dl wagon does. Just the mpfi instead of the spfi.
yep, that's it.

the dash trim and steering column covers are worth $100 as well if they're in good shape and you don't hose them up, they are easy to remove.