Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need to replace REAR struts in '97 GT Wgn, do I need alignment ?

definitely not.

i've never gotten an alignment after replacing front struts before either, mark the top camber bolt and reinstall exactly as it was. should all work fine if you're not getting something significantly different from stock.

in general since i'm rotating tires often (have to with 4WD subaru's), i keep an eye on tire wear. if i ever notice uneven tire wear i will get an alignment. i haven't had to get an alignment in 15 years and dozens of subarus since adopting that philosophy as recommended by someone who works in the field.

definitely not.

i've never gotten an alignment after replacing front struts before either, mark the top camber bolt and reinstall exactly as it was. should all work fine if you're not getting something significantly different from stock.

in general since i'm rotating tires often (have to with 4WD subaru's), i keep an eye on tire wear. if i ever notice uneven tire wear i will get an alignment. i haven't had to get an alignment in 15 years and dozens of subarus since adopting that philosophy as recommended by someone who works in the field.

I too, have marked the top camber bolts, and reinstall exactly as it was. My wife had an old bottle of nail polish that she was throwing away. I kept it, and use it to mark alignment points. The little nail polish brush works great. Makes it real simple to realign everything perfectly.

I confess I don't do much work myself. Had the rear struts replaced on my wife's car and found just a month later I needed an alignment done. If you feel competent handling it, which it sounds like you are, checking it is a must to ensure you avoid tire problems.

Had the rear struts replaced on my wife's car and found just a month later I needed an alignment done.
the causation is only assumed though, it may not have been due to the struts.

The alignment issue may have been there before hand but is just now getting noticed.

Or maybe you're getting new tires, in which case they often try to "require", "sell", "suggest", or otherwise have you get an alignment.

You had both rear struts replaced - something was previously wrong to have that work done. Those bad struts could have caused improper wear on your tires that is now showing up as beyond limits (down to the wear indicators on the tires).