Ultimate Subaru Message Board

how do i take off this fan?

I'm replacing the timing belts on an EA82 mpfi and there is a fan here that i haven't seen on the carbed and spfi EA82s its on the end of the water pump pulley. how do i take it off?

Pic

PICT0002.JPG

Also the passenger side camshaft pulley is broken. Is this a sign of something else wrong?

PICT0001.JPG

I'm replacing the timing belts on an EA82 mpfi and there is a fan here that i haven't seen on the carbed and spfi EA82s its on the end of the water pump pulley. how do i take it off?

You should be able to loosen the nuts (:lol:) with a 10 mm wrench.

If you can't hold it from spinning, try sticking the belt back on to hold the pulley.

If that doesnt work, a screwdriver or small prybar wedged in between 2 of the bolts should do the trick.

Also the passenger side camshaft pulley is broken. Is this a sign of something else wrong?

I'm not sure what would have caused that, maybe something smacked the timing belt cover causing the pulley to break? I'd say if the cam still spins, you're ok, but I'm sure someone else will chime in.

I would check to see if that cam still turns. That looks like major mechanical failure of some kind. If it still turns I would be looking real close at everything and taking the valve cover off etc. That's highly unusual - I would guess no one here has ever seen that failure mode.

Flat blade screwdriver between two the of the 10mm mounting bolts will hold it while you loosen each one. Just loosen then - don't take them off as you go so you can use the loose nuts to hold the pulley in the aforementioned fashion for all of them. Then you should be able to remove them by hand and pull off the fan and the pulley.

GD

I would check to see if that cam still turns. That looks like major mechanical failure of some kind. If it still turns I would be looking real close at everything and taking the valve cover off etc. That's highly unusual - I would guess no one here has ever seen that failure mode.

GD

I really hope your wrong and its just something like an impurity in the casting of the part.

As has been said, 10mm, i've found the only wrench that fits is the Mac knuckle saver, all the other ones i've used have been too big, be careful not to round the bolts.

Yup... if you round over the nuts, you may be reduced to slowly hacksawing them off. BTDT. Both my carbed and SPFI EA82 had the fan on the water pump pulley, but I've seen ones that don't too. It just varies.

Z

You know, if Subaru would have used an electric fan instead of one that runs off the engine they probably could have gained a bit more power.

Did any of the older Soobs have a electric cooling fan?

-Tom

I think they all had an electric fan standard, and only added the engine driven one if it had A/C, if GD is right. I've seen ones with just the engine driven one, but it's probably because the electric one was removed at some point (like my car).

Z

EA81s had electric fans as well. Not sure if their a/c models had an engine driven, fan or not. There isn't provision for one on a non-a/c car I know- the water pump pulley is pressed on.

Hmmm. I have sa 1982 with air conditioning (doesn't work of course...) and I don't recall it having a fan on the engine, but I can't say for sure -- I'll look at it next time I'm in the shop (where the engine is sitting).

Z

For the record

All EA82 models with factory AC had the fan on the water pump as well as an electric fan from the factory. The secondary fan would come on at a certain temp or if the AC was on.

all the EA82 motors Ive ever seen (including non-AC) had the waterpump fan, but the non-AC units did not have the electric fan.

No EA81s that I know of had a mechanical fan of any kind. Nor did the EA71s AFAIK.

EA81s that came with factory AC were equiped with dual electric fans, the secondary would come on when the AC was engaged only.

This is about as much as I know about the subject, other than if you had dealer installed AC there could be some differences, each dealer had the discretion to do their own thing as long as it worked right. My '80 Brat had dealer AC and only 1 fan :-\

-Bill

I'll revise what's above with the correct info:

EA81's with AC have two electric cooling fans. One only comes on with the compressor.

EA81T's all have AC, and they have the same mechanical cooling fan as the EA82's have and the same primary electric fan as any other EA81.

EA82(T)'s with AC have one electric fan and one mechanical fan. Non AC cars have an electric fan only.\

I *beleive* that EA71 cars with AC had a belt-driven mechanical fan that was not attached to the water pump. Someone in the historic section would know.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder