Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gas tank pressure

I noticed today on my 93 Loyale wagon, some noise when I stopped,. It was coming from my gas cap. The tank had built up a lot of pressure and was venting somewhere.

When I opened the cap, a lot of fumes came rushing out. Is this normal?

have you got the charcoal canister under the hood still? Sometimes these get removed and the vent gets blocked, bad idea..

Cannister still there.

Is the tank supposed to be pressurized?

Shooting a bit from the hip here; however check your gas cap - it might need replacing. When you remove the gas cap, you are supposed to do it slow - you will usually hear fuel pressure release (hissing sound). They warn you not to remove the cap quickly, but only after the pressure has been relieved to avoid the potential of fuel spraying out. If your gas tank is venting with the cap on, your cap might need replacing......

Edit. I need to read up a bit more on this tonight, it has been a long time. Your cap is part of the emission system and I think is supposed to allow some venting etc.

Edited by aba4430

Mine built up pressure after only about 15 minutes of driving. though it is really hot. Guess it is time for a new cap.

Can the build up of pressure affect the way it runs?

..gas can start to flood out of the carb ...some time ago in the very hot desert it happened to me, .. the mechanic cut the hose going to the carbon canister and put a screw into it...2 weeks ago it happened again..the problem was related to the canister simply being to old to allow anymore fumes..it is all plugged up

When i removed the canister for a weber swap,

I capped the vent line and ended up with what looked like a

rolling boil in the vapor separator, and excessive pressure in the tank that made a gurgling sound.

Uncapped the line and now it's being vented to atmosphere with no issues.

Point being, that it's a safe bet your vent line is clogged with crud.