Ultimate Subaru Message Board

timing in check...?

OK well here is how things are...Today I pulled off the outer two plastic timing covers after a sugestion from my ASE teacher. I was told to look to see if the cams wrer lined up, or "in time." my first look revealed that the one on the right(from the drivers seat) was at 11 O'clock and was close to 5 O'clock. apperantly one should be at 12 and the other at 6, depending on intake or exhaust. So any way, I started the engine , let it run for about 15 seconds and shut it off. the right was just after 6 while the left was just after 1. And again, I ran the engine, and again shut it off after 15 sec. The right was near 10 O'clock and the left was between 4 and 6 O'clock(but closer to 6.)

Seema like it "jumped time to me." A question for you guys though....what if one was at 11 and the other at 5? Or, for example, one was at 9 O'clock and the other at 3"oclock?? it is 180 degrees different..? Or 11 and 5.

What if the little holes were lining up at 1 and 7?

Must they line up at 12 and 6 exactly? each and every time?

Open access hole under your spare tire. Rotate your engine clockwise. You will see three lines on the flywheel. Like this: |||. Line up the middle line with the mark on the housing. Check your cam marks now.

Sam

Yeah, you have to turn the engine by hand to line up the three parts (flywheel, and each cam). Easier way to tell for sure that the cams are properly timed is to do one of them to 12 oclock, then roated the crank a full turn and re-align it to the 3 little marks, then check the other cam is at 12 oclock.

As for running -- it'll try to run with the drivers cam 3 tooths off, and the passenger cam 180 degrees off.... done that...:rolleyes: I suspect it will run one tooth off, but be significantly down on power. It kind of sounds like you are a few teeth off on one of them, but without lining it up with respect to the crankshaft flywheel marks, it's not really possible to tell which.

Z

Yeah, you have to turn the engine by hand to line up the three parts (flywheel, and each cam). Easier way to tell for sure that the cams are properly timed is to do one of them to 12 oclock, then roated the crank a full turn and re-align it to the 3 little marks, then check the other cam is at 12 oclock.

As for running -- it'll try to run with the drivers cam 3 tooths off, and the passenger cam 180 degrees off.... done that...:rolleyes: I suspect it will run one tooth off, but be significantly down on power. It kind of sounds like you are a few teeth off on one of them, but without lining it up with respect to the crankshaft flywheel marks, it's not really possible to tell which.

Z

Aaahhhhhh.... now I remember...I knew I was missing something.....But for the life of me I couldn't figure out what...as you mentioned lining up the fly wheel, it all came back to me. My teacher had told me to do exactly that, ...and i forgot. :o