Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I picked up an after market radio/cd player and I need to figure out which wires are what in the 2 plugs in back of the factory radio/cassette. If anyone out there knows the secret it sure would save me a lot of time. I checked several retailers for the wiring adapter but nothing for the subaru in stock, so there. Many thanks.

Have you contacted Crutchfield Electronics? They sell car radio wiring adaptor kits that plug into factory car wiring, then plug your after market radio into the Crutchfield wiriing kit. Works really slick. Takes all the mystery out of what wire goes where, plus you don't have to cut into factory wiring.

Do a google search to find Crutchfield Electronics. Their guys working the tech service desk really know their stuff, they are great. They have helped me out of a jam several times. Give them a call on their 800 nimber. Hope they can help!

Don't cut the stock wiring harness off. Once you have a wiring diagram (I have a manual in PDF, but it's 32MB), simply put spade connectors on the radio side connections and then cut the spade connectors down the center with wire cutters to make them half as wide. Plug them into the appropriate plugs on the harness (they should fit quite tight if you cut them properly) and you are done. This way you can put the stock stereo back into the vehicle when you sell it and it will take you no time at all.

If you have a way that I can get 32MB to you, let me know and I'll send you the entire manual.