Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea-81 front control arms ?

Hi,

i have a pair of front control arms from a 80 model 2-wd coupe, I need to know if these the same as a 84 4x4 wagon?? obveously they look the same , but are they?

anyone have a parts book going back to 80, mine is only ea-82 cars.

thank you

If you give me alittle time.. I have a parts book for 1983 ..and I can look it up for you. I believe they are the same though..because everything else in the front is the same between FWD and 4WD..but to be sure I will look it up.

not to burst a bubble but even on the 1991-1994 legacy, subaru front end between FWD and AWD was different at least the axles were different

the reason is the FWD axles were actually beefier than the AWD axles.

Not sure how that correlates to the control arms, but even he control arms on the newer ones were different. the higher end models (usually the AWD models) had an extra stabilizer bar bracket, which the mount bracket was absent on the control arm of lower models.

I would guess similar for this question.

On EA81s, *almost* everything on the front end is the same between 4wd and 2wd models. I swapped the whole front suspension (lower arms, struts, hubs, axles, brakes, etc.) from a 1980 GL-5 2wd wagon and put it on my 1985 4wd Brat :banana:

EA81s are possibly the most interchangeble cars there are...

-Bill

I am sitting here looking at my dealer 83 parts catalog.... and front control arms have the exact same part number between FWD and 4WD.. and as for axles etc.. I have used 4WD front end parts plenty of times on my FWD Loyale and know people who have done the opp used FWD parts on their 4WDs.