Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ok, So I got this car with an overheating problem... The water pump was seized, PO put some goo in it because it had a leak... The Passenger side of the Radiator got hot... while the Drivers side was cool..to the touch... so I'm almost certain that I have a problem with either a bad stat or Radiator... any ideas? Idle is awesome and no bubbling. It drives well...just has this issue... and what it stays dead on for quite a while and then All of a sudden the Temp will peg which almost makes me think it might be a sensor..

What car? Is it a 2.2 or a 2.5? Year model, etc.

I it is a 2.5 DOHC chances are very good that you have a HG issue, but you might have to replace the rad due to the goo problem you mentioned. I hate it when people use that stuff. It only creates more problems than it fixes.

Goos luck.

you replaced the water pump?

have you properly bled the coolant? this is not like the older stuff xoomer, EJ engines are notorious for overheating just as you described - the hose/radiator won't get warm. A small amount of air will prevent the cooling system from operating properly. They are not forgiving at all like the older EA/ER engines.

If half your radiator is cold, then its clogged.
there's other causes, particularly what i described above with EJ engines. you'll get a cold radiator and hose with air in the system.

if it hasn't been properly bled, or you're not sure if it has, then that's probably the issue.

I got nailed by a non OEM thermostat for the first time last week.

Heck - I've purchased cars with the thermostat in backwards.

I don't even know if an OEM will fit in backwards - but aftermarkets sure do they are about half the length.

Well, Today I made a trip out to pull a part... no radiators... DAMN! but I did notice that the more I let it heat up- Cool down- the more room for water... so I also noticed that the Tstat is probably F-ed so I'm gonna put in a new one...

o.k. yet again I don't know where seatac is.

But I've got me some radiators setting here that are good. Mostly Legacy's but a few Impreza's.

If you're near South Western PA.

Depending on how long the JY keeps things they could have pulled all the rad's when they were pulling cats last year when scrap was up.