Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HELP!!! Anyone Local to Portland, OR have a Tow Dolly??

Hey Guys.

Thanks again for steering me straight

I got the tensioner tightened up and got her mostly home.

Somebody before me used JBWeld on the tensioner bolts. Would explain why i could never quite get the 20lbs of torque on the bolts when i was tightening them up.

Currently car is at mechanic who will drill and retap the bolt holes so that the tensioner will actually stay in place. So new driver side timing belt and might as well do the cam seals (leaking oil) and she'll be on the road again

Edited by 88glfan

What does this "rattle" sound like and when is it occuring?

Subaru rod knocks usually only show under load.

Are you sure it's not hydraulic lifter ticking? It can be very loud and to the uninitiated it sounds like a mechanical failure of some sort.

Where are you in Portland? I'm in West Linn. I don't have a dolly but perhap I could tell you if it's serious enough to need one or not. I've heard about every sound a Subaru can make.

GD

I'll almost gaurantee it's not a rod. Subaru rod bearing failures are very rare. When they do occur they blow though the top of the block as it is relatively thin aluminium. It sounds like you have a lifter noise or something going south in one of the timing belt tensioners or idler.

I don't live far from your work but I can't get over there today.

GD

So if its just a lifter or a timing belt pulley\idler, safe to drive it home or should I tow it??

What is an easy parking lot way to tell if its a pulley or idler in the timing belt system? Check for play in them (see if they move or wiggle)?

Edited by 88glfan

I feel your pain, 88glfan, sadly I don't have the equipment to help you out. :( I live in Oregon City, but I would suggest if you do end up getting it towed, be very careful that they don't damage it in transit.

I got seriously burned when I had my front strut top fail, and then I made the mistake of letting the tow truck driver hook-up to the strut to secure it to the flatbed. (I didn't like this idea, but I thought I better let him do his job.

When we got home, the pressure he put on the already blown strut by ratcheting it down, pulled apart the new ft CV axle. :dead:

I know this wasn't an issue from the strut top failure, because it happened literally 10 sec after I pulled out of a parking-lot onto a busy street, and I stopped immediately when I heard the tire stuffing into the wheel well. :eek:

The driver was very apologetic and owned his mistake and took pictures, and assured me that they would do something about the damage, so I made the mistake of paying him.

Long story short his supervisor talked about coming over to see the damage and put me off then finally refused to even look at it.

Hope everything works out for ya.

So if its just a lifter or a timing belt pulley\idler, safe to drive it home or should I tow it??

What is an easy parking lot way to tell if its a pulley or idler in the timing belt system? Check for play in them (see if they move or wiggle)?

I don't know about the pulley/idler, but if it's just a lifter, i.e. TOD (tick of death ... with a subies most people refer to it as TOD as kind of a joke) I would take back-roads just to be safe, until your able to go over the engine.

I don't have TOD on my brat, but I understand that is a lot of subies on this board that are regularly driven with TOD, and they are still on the road. :burnout:

If it's a lifter you are safe to drive it - they are merely annoying. The causes can be various but in no case will it harm the engine in any major way.

If it's a timing belt compoenent you could potentially snap the belt. Replacing the failed component and the belt would fix it though. These aren't interferance engines so you can't hurt them with a belt breakage.

GD